Brand new. Need some help, ideas etc.. anything you can throw at me!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by siker, Oct 25, 2014.

1. siker

siker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So im new to hunting. Like i just passed hunter safety about a week ago.

Im in Wisconsin hunting whitetail deer on public land (for now) if that helps narrow down what i need help with.....

My first time hunting for deer was kinda meh... I was alone, didnt know what i was doing.. every freaking chipmunk that moved sounded like a deer... Now i understand its not gonna be a fire work show.. but i dont feel prepared at all. Im completely lost at like 90% of what im doing... I really dont have anyone to help me out.

Its actually really sad that i get out of the woods for the night, walk back to the truck to wait for my other hunting party, and i heard some rustling in the bushes by the entrance... thinking it was a squirrel or another hunter coming back in, i walked to it to see.. and a doe jumped out and ran in the direction where my stand was... just my luck right.... and it was like 30-40 mins after the hunting time was done so i didnt even have a chance.. or would be willing to risk taking that....

Sooo here are some main questions i have.....

1. calls.. what kind to get.. brand, sound etc... Electronic or should i get the one where i have to make them? how often should i use them.. if at all. What kind should i use when? How do i know when its a good time..
    and antler racks.. should i get some to rattle?

2. Scent blocker had a great sale the other day, and i got some Rutting Buck urine. I read that i should put some on a towel and drag it while i get to a spot in the woods? When to use that. How often. and other types of lures.. i have some more on hand that i havent looked at what kind.. but i dont want to misuse them.. or scare away a deer by using the wrong one..

3. How do you know whats a great place to put a stand up? I picked one and i wasnt really confident in it. Not that the next tree over was any better... i thought it was a great spot at first but then i questioned my self...

4. How high do you go up to be in a good spot.. Ive been told as long as your comfortable.. Well height doesnt bother me... I dont want to be in a line of sight for a deer. but i want to be able to have a good shot too...

5. How do you find places to hunt public. Where we went i had people walking though all day (we went in at about noon) bothering my area of hunting to get to there spots... (another reason i wasnt confident in my spot...)

6. With private land.. I understand asking for permission.. but how do you know that might be a good spot.... Do you shine for deer near some corn fields, and woods and then ask the land owner if you see something? What about asking if they have deer? Im soo lost with finding land its really sad.

7. Decoys... anyone use them? have luck with them? Is it worth getting, and lugging them out in the woods with you...

8. Back to land, but about deer cams... (sorry, i just have the questions pop in to my head.. so im kinda all ovet the place!!) I want to invest in some good ones if i get some private land to hunt.. but i dont know where to start with them either.. I would like either ones that will send the pics to your phone or online folder but dont want to pay too much per month for that service... Or one that i can check them with out actuallly going into the woods... i want my area to be as un bothered as possible..

I think those are my main questions for now.... im sure i'll have more.
    thanks so much for helping!

2. siker

siker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    oh and funnels.. what is that..

3. siker

siker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone even go on these fourms? seems like no one replies to anyone here.. :(

4. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No one wants to sit here and repeat what can be learned by reading and using the search feature honestly.

I don't use any scents, rattling, decoys, etc.

Just be where the deer want to be. 99% of the hunt is done before you are in the stand. Scout hard, use cameras to continue to scout when you aren't there. If you are seeing hunters, then you aren't far enough in. Again, scout. Learn to scout. You need more time in the woods.

The easy part of hunting is sitting in a stand and shooting an arrow. The skill is scouting and understanding the deer.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be honest, there was lots of trial and error when I began deer hunting. We didn't have forums to get the "how to" off of when I started. This is really one of those things that you have to see what works for you.

6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also agree that it's trial and error, but you have to just research as much as possiable because what may work for others may not for you and vice versa. Read as much info as you can and always keep an open mind and scour the internet for info and develop yor own strategys based on what you read and what you prefer. All info can be gained through the web, but only you can put it all together for sucess.

7. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The good thing about this site, is all the info about everything you asked. All the BHOD staff post blogs left and right on here. They are all very talented and successful hunters, and have the video proof to back it. Just watch the shows and read the blogs and try to apply that to your situation. Good luck! :tu:

8. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. Not my thing...waste of time and money, IMO.
    2. Not my thing...waste of time and money, IMO.
    3. A location that is near bedding and/or food source, with entrance/exit that dose not alert deer and your scent dose not blow to said deer.
    4. Whatever it takes to achieve cover and a shot opp....could be from the ground to 30ft or anything in between.
    5. On line.
    6. I dont do private land.
    7. Not my thing...waste of time and money, IMO.
    8. Do a search and see what others like/use.

9. siker

siker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    wow...Thats not rude at all. if you dont want to help out then dont reply. Its a forum. There are going to be repeat questions.... And my goodness, im so sorry for asking for help... Its hard to do something for the first time ever with out anyone helping. Im sure a lot of you had people giving you tips and help when you were growing up. So why am i getting scolded for doing the same, just on the internet?

i did start going through the others, and i wasnt really getting the questions i had answered.... and it seemed that like one or two people would comment on a post..

I ask for some help and seems everyone says just do it.. Well if im doing it wrong then how would i know...thats why im asking..

I agree with this and i get that your stuff may work for you and all that.. I guess i was really asking what i should be looking for in a call or cam or whatever. No necessarily what brand.

I dont know... I guess i went looking for help in the wrong place..

10. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well put your big boy pants on, grow some thick skin, and realize hard work is the most important part. There are no short cuts. Again, browse the forum. All your questions have been asked before. For questions that you can't find answers to, then ask.

It's like scouting, you have to do the leg work on your own. Don't just ask for someone's spot. On a forum, do the searching up front, then if you can't find it, ask for help.

11. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out growing deer tv on youtube, they will help you out a lot with all your questions, not trying to not give you information but they really do a great job at teaching a lot of key assets in hunting

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After reading my original post again I feel like what I said could've been taken as rude as well. If it was I apologize to you.
    I've bow hunted for close to 20 years and I still read a lot of magazine articles and troll around on forums like this and see what I'm missing or different methods to try.
    The reason I say that is that I hunt in Missouri in areas that are mostly timber with food plots scattered around or near crops with large blocks of timber near by. The type of hunting I do isn't the same type as you find in North Central Kansas.
    I've never been big on decoys, don't use scents very often and rattle very rarely. I've killed bucks ranging from the mid 130's to mid 170's without using any of these previous methods.
    I wear trail cameras out and do my homework on deer patterns and try to put myself in the right place. Sometimes it works and sometimes your left scratching your head.
    As far as all of your questions, I'll throw a few ideas at ya.
    1. Not my thing either
    2. Anymore my clothes live on the deck so they get rained on then let them dry outside and in to the plastic bag they go.
    3. Food and security are important for deer. Know where the wind is blowing to and make sure the deer are not at the end of that.
    4. 20'ish is a good place to be. Much higher and it can really effect your close up shots with the sharp angle.
    5. Stay away from the city. Lots of people want it the easy way. Close to home and they won't walk in very far to hunt.
    6. Topo maps can help give you a good idea of what is there as far as crops and timber or areas that are all pasture. Around here you can get a Plat Book to see who owns what.
    7. Don't use them.
    8. Don't have any that do that.

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe go to your local bow shop and maybe some one might know some one that would mentor or help you out. Your best bet is to find another hunter that is willing to help you out and maybe go on a couple hunts with you in the woods and give you pointers when going in and doing a little scouting. The knowledge you get from a local hunter that will be hunting the same deer you are will be the best advise you may get. Its hard at the beginning, just start by going out in the woods and setting up and watching the deer movement and take note of were there are traveling and try to figure out were they are going from point A to point B. Then move alittle closer between there travel routes.

14. Matt53

Matt53 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like most of these guys are saying. Most successful hunters are only successful because of the work put in March through May rather than in season. Use the topo maps to locate geographical features that will help funnel the deer through a particular area and then get out there and walk the land. If your ratio is not at least 1 hour of preparation to 1 hour of hunting, it is going to be difficult to consistently see deer. And that is how you know you are doing it wrong...if your not seeing deer in the stand, it is probably time to switch it up.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. calls.. what kind to get.. brand, sound etc... Electronic or should i get the one where i have to make them? how often should i use them.. if at all. What kind should i use when? How do i know when its a good time..
    and antler racks.. should i get some to rattle?

If you are just starting I would not recommend calls at all. Most of the times they do more harm than good unless used at the perfect time. A quick Google search can give you more information than you need.. Whitetail Hunting Tips: How to Use Deer Calls, Scents, and Decoys | Outdoor Life

2. Scent blocker had a great sale the other day, and i got some Rutting Buck urine. I read that i should put some on a towel and drag it while i get to a spot in the woods? When to use that. How often. and other types of lures.. i have some more on hand that i havent looked at what kind.. but i dont want to misuse them.. or scare away a deer by using the wrong one..

Again... Scents can do more harm than good if used too much or at the incorrect times. I occasionally use doe estrous during the peak of the rut, but that's about it. You are correct in how it can be used... Cut a rag into a few slim strips, dunk the strips in the estrous, tie a 6ft string to it, and tie the other end around your ankle and walk to your stand.

3. How do you know whats a great place to put a stand up? I picked one and i wasnt really confident in it. Not that the next tree over was any better... i thought it was a great spot at first but then i questioned my self...

Start by looking for trails and also look for the nearest food source. Use google maps and google earth and view the area you are hunting with the satellite view.

4. How high do you go up to be in a good spot.. Ive been told as long as your comfortable.. Well height doesnt bother me... I dont want to be in a line of sight for a deer. but i want to be able to have a good shot too...

20 ft is plenty high in my opinion.

5. How do you find places to hunt public. Where we went i had people walking though all day (we went in at about noon) bothering my area of hunting to get to there spots... (another reason i wasnt confident in my spot...)

View the area on google maps and go in further...

6. With private land.. I understand asking for permission.. but how do you know that might be a good spot.... Do you shine for deer near some corn fields, and woods and then ask the land owner if you see something? What about asking if they have deer? Im soo lost with finding land its really sad.

You will soon find out... Google earth/maps will become your best friend when looking for land.

7. Decoys... anyone use them? have luck with them? Is it worth getting, and lugging them out in the woods with you...

8. Back to land, but about deer cams... (sorry, i just have the questions pop in to my head.. so im kinda all ovet the place!!) I want to invest in some good ones if i get some private land to hunt.. but i dont know where to start with them either.. I would like either ones that will send the pics to your phone or online folder but dont want to pay too much per month for that service... Or one that i can check them with out actuallly going into the woods... i want my area to be as un bothered as possible..

16. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To add to this, YouTube videos are amazing for reading maps and looking for funnels, pinch points, etc.

17. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What part of wisconsin are you in? I'm no veteran of hunting, but if you're close, I could try to help you out.

18. siker

siker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im in sheboygan area. Im not asking for where you hunt or what plot of land ya'll think i should go to. but like looking for the scrapes and all that... Like for private land. you really cant go on their land, look at every tree then ask for permission.. but ask then see if deer are in the area.. etc.

thanks to everyone who did help answer questions.. it does help, and actually feels like some people do care. I do plan on doing more research next year out of season.. i literally got my license like two weeks ago.. So obviously not enough time to do any serious scouting off season or anything like that. I just want to hunt and know what to kinda look for.

I appreciate everyone who did actually help..

19. Tyler_Cline3

Tyler_Cline3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has different opinions and success in all different aspects of hunting, my advice is to dab into a little bit at a time and see what works and what doesn't. Scouting is 100% the best tool in hunting. Get to know the sport of hunting in your own unique way and success will come to you, but most of all don't let all of the uncertainties in hunting take away from the joy of being in the woods and discovering the outdoorsman within yourself. Best of luck.

20. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you in wi?