Tips and techniques on rattling and calling bucks for Central Wisconsin during rut.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JOHN_CREEDXS, Oct 23, 2014.

1. JOHN_CREEDXS

JOHN_CREEDXS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone I am from central Wisconsin, and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tricks in using rattles and calls. An also can anyone tell me when the prime rut is for Wisconsin? Still new to all this so hope to get some feedback thanks.

2. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted this evenin and I love to rattle so I gave it a whirl tonight and it pulled two out in tha field. Had one chasin the young does around. I'm in Kentucky though. But I would be willin to say that the rut is in near sight. Another week or two and they'll have them ears pinned back chasin anything tha moves

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prime rut should be around Nov 8th, John.

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should be able to rattle a buck in anytime from now to the end o f November. Start with tickling the antlers as if you are calling to a buck only 75 yards away. You don't want to crash the antlers right off the bat and scare nearby deer. I like to do a 20-30 second sequence and wait a couple minutes then do it again. After three sequences I don't rattle again for an hour or more. It just depends on how much deer are moving. Where I hunt it is difficult to see a deer more than 75 yards away most of the time so I don't get to rattle to deer I see ahead of time. I've rattled in many deer by blind rattling. Expect the deer to circle down wind of your set up so if you are not in a good position for that scenario, don't rattle.

You can use a grunt tube when you see a buck or give random grunts. Again start quietly as if calling a deer that is 75 yards away. I never blow a grunt call hard enough to call a deer much over 100 yards in the woods. Hope this helps. Search this site and I'm sure you'll find more detailed information. Good luck.

Mbcoyote likes this.