Deer and cattle??

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Whitetailfreak52, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone out there had to deal with cattle in where you hunt? This year the farmer decided to put cattle in a corn field where i was getting pictures of some great bucks.. Do you think the cattle messed up that area?

2. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that the deer are bothered by cows. The property I hunt has cattle on two sides of it and most the time the deer hang in the cow pastures.

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in area that the cattle are moved to different sections in the woods I hunt. I've have notice a considerable drop in trail cam pictures of deer when the cattle are in the section. Either cows don't like deer or deer don't like cows. Probably both. I've also witnessed horses freak out when deer come into their pasture area.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer may frequent a cow pasture but it isn't going to be when cows are there. Unless that is the major food source of the area you are probably not going to see any deer in that field as long as cows are there.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer don't like to be around the cattle in my areas. I would say that it definitely will slow things down in that field.

6. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On my lease there are cattle year round and one thing is they nock down a lot of the brush that is in the trees so it isn't as think and the deer might not bed in there as much. But usually in your case that they are just in the field most of the time the cattle stay together in one part of the field, and they will eat the corn so that means there is less corn for the deer to feed on. But I think overall they don't really care a whole lot with the cows just being in the field. The farmer just moved cows into an area I had been seeing a big buck so I'm not sure if he is still in the area or not. The cows mostly stay in the corn field and haven't gone down into the trees yet. Just keep that camera there and see if your bucks are still using the area, it also depends on how many cows and how many acres the field is.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cattle are the worst.... I have never had good luck around them. They will absolutly destroy a property. Deer are really spooky by nature. I think cattle put them on edge even more than they already are and eventually drive them out.

8. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have deer frequent my 2-3 acre pasture with my mules regularly. Maybe it depends on if the deer are use to the other animals.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100%! Plus I'm tired of washing "cow pies" off my truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the situation and the deer. I have been watching one doe graze with the cattle and actually bed inside the fence with them, but I have not seen many deer do this. I agree with Heckler for the most part.

11. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt my family's cattle farm and we have a ton of deer. They don't like to be in the same field, but they will stay around. The big bucks might become nocturnal, untill the rut. I don't think they will leave the area, you should be fine.

12. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful if you use doe estrus. It will attract cattle.