Experience with decoys

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by smitty88, Oct 21, 2014.

1. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the farms I hunt is in a prime area. It is corn field located between two managed deer hunting areas with low pressure. The problem with it is, it is just a corn field. In the evening deer come out by the dozens, but not in any particular pattern. Some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen have been in the this field, but about 200 yards from my stand (the only tree to put a stand in). I've used calls, but they always get nervous when they hear a deer but look over a vast corn field and don't see a deer. I bought a flambeau doe decoy yesterday, but don't have any experience or confidence in this method.

Has anybody had any success using decoys weither doe or buck? If so, do you have any tips or tricks to using decoys?

2. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Motion motion motion. I use a tail wagger (electronic tail waggers may not be legal in your state) But at the very least use strips of lightweight white material (like grocery store bags) to the tail and the ears so the wind can add that level of realism. Use a scent (buck butter is a good choice here) as the deer will want to get down wind to scent check this new deer to see if they know her/him. Couple calls/rattling with scent and the visual decoy and you up your chance that a deer will close the distance because they can now see, hear and smell a deer. Keep human scent off the decoy and dont apply scent directly to the decoy. Decoying is a blast. I have 4 of them (Boss buck, 2 does and deer rear I stick in the brush) Deer are a social creature.

If you go with a buck, leave one side of the rack off the decoy. Another buck is more likely to challenge a weaker/lesser buck. Place the decoy quartering towards you and wait (dont rush) for the deer to circle the decoy and offer the best shot. If a buck has closed the distance to 10 yards of the decoy, he will likely lay his ears back and siddle. Then you have him. Just wait for the shot and make sure to hit record on your cam because this is something you are going to want to record.