What do you think works better? Mechanical fix broad heads in thinck woods?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dchrysler, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dchrysler

dchrysler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mechanical broad heads I have been using in the woods. I have found out it is very hard to see that little twig that catches this arrow I shoot. Even after I look to place the shot, I have had nothing but something catching my arrows after the shot and of course, nothing is hit, the shot turns out to be a dud....
    So, I am looking for some advice on the matter. I plan of getting some fixed broad heads to shoot because I feel that it would ride the little twig or push it out of the way which would complete the shot I have made. This is the 3rd shot that has went wrong because of the stuff I can't see.

I know it looks all good when you are shooting in an open field but in the woods, I think it's a different story.

Whats your take on this matter?

Thanks

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not convinced that head choice will help under those circumstances. A heavier arrow setup might but under the same weight, I'm just not sure anything will change, a deflection is a deflection. I would think a smaller profile of a mechanical would decrease chances of deflections from twigs.

I guess you're positive it's not from fletching contact or something on the bow or yourself?

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heavier arrows are harder to knock of course. Larger broadheads have a greater chance of hitting something. Its not your equipment. Your arrow begins its journey 3-4 inches below your line of sight and depending on the distance may rise a foot or more above your line of sight, so the holes you shoot through need to be large enough to accommodate the full trajectory range of your arrow at any given range.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The fletching sticks out as far as the fixed blades so there is nothing to gain by using the mechanical. If there is brush, you still make contact.

5. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    may i suggest :)

[​IMG]

only reason i can poke fun is my record of hitting branches, i've pruned 1/2 of SW. PA. in my day.:rant:
    cut shooting lanes, or choose wiser...shoot or no shoot, are the best options

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you bud, I have eastern NC almost limbless. Each time I go to prune a new stand I tell myself, "just the bare minimum". Then when I get there I think "well, this one needs to go, because the buck might walk here, oh and yea that one needs to go because, well he just might walk there too". Before I know it, all the limbs are gone 360* around me and out to 100 yards... :bash:

7. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta cut lanes man. Our property is so thick they're tractor brush hog cut trails that grid the property, all the deer we shot were on the cut trails basically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. HemiRam

HemiRam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both and like mechs better due to large cutting diameter and ease of tuning as far as one working better then the other i don't think that is the case at all they both work equally well