What am I doing wrong with my scent control?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by I Dream of Fall, Oct 19, 2014.

1. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This year I decided to take a bigger step in controlling my scent in the woods. I bought a mark down set of scent control jacket and pants, extra scent killer spray, and scent wash. I washed every piece of clothing i wear in the woods with my scent killer detergent, I spray down before I leave for the woods and every time I get in the stand, I take my time getting to the stand so I don't sweat, and I keep my clothes in a tote to keep them as scent free as possible. Yet, I still get winded by deer. I had 4 bucks under my stand last night at ~15yds, and I can understand getting busted by them, but a doe 30 yds away also winded me, which shocked me. I don't know what I could be doing wrong, any suggestions/advice?

2. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was the wind blowing toward the deer?

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on your height and scent streams the farther away deer are gonna smell ya quicker than ones right under you. Scent stream could be blowing right over the ones close but swinging straight to the nostrils of the deer 35 yards away...lots of maybes to know 100% for sure.

4. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They weren't straight down wind but the doe was acting very funny. I've had another time this year where the deer were upwind of me and still busted me somehow. I don't know. Gonna rewash my clothes and try again.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You went wrong when you thought scent control could fool the nose of a whitetail.

6. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. What can I do better?

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly all you can do is pick your best stand for the wind you have, hunt the wind and pray the deer are not in the wind stream. Scent control helps but doesnt protect you completely.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying I never get winded, but since I started bathing in hunters soap, using hunter's deodorant, spraying, washing, and buying "scent control" clothing I've sure been getting winded a lot less. I also tend to hunt near points and ridgelines where thermals carry my scent up and away or at least disperses more quickly.

good luck; scent control is never going to be 100% but you've got a head start. Deer's number 1 defense is their nose, and some (especially mature does) will over react at the slightest whiff.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't overlook your access to your stand. If they cross where you walk, they can pick you up and figure you out pretty quickly. And it also depends on the terrain that you hunt. If you hunt in a valley, or along some water the wind may be blowing in your face, but that doesn't mean that it won't start swirling 10 yards behind you and disperse your scent.

10. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I would say you're not doing anything "wrong". Keep at it and you may not get winded next time. Maybe winds tend to swirl at that stand?

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you're hunting in a wooded area your scent stream also gets redirected around trees in its path. That alone can fan it out into a larger swath than an open field situation.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you sit in the same tree? Old nanny does like to make sport of hunters they bust, they will look and smell for you in the same spot

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shower with the scent control shampoo/soap and use the deodorant?

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I do far too many things for my scent control...does it all help, doubtful....does it all give me confidence, sure....would I do more if I could or knew of other things, yup.

I always put it this way, "I will never do more scent control than I need to, but I will always do as much as I need to" **We will never beat a whitetail's nose 100% so I am always trying to do more.

**Also the wind direction and thermals and such are part of scent control but in my opinion not all of it.

15. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dumb question but do you get dressed at the hunting sight? I know a few guys that take all precautions as far as washing their clothes in scent a way soap, take a scent away shower and then get dressed at home because its easier. I know its a pain when its 25 degrees out and dark in the morning, heck I fell down one time trying to get my pants on but its one important step to not forget, get dressed in the field. Scoot

16. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How about your breath?

I have been busted once in about 5 years, I constantly have deer 360 degrees around me. Where I hunt, they come from all directions and the wind constantly shifts, so its impossible to "hunt the wind".

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^. You can do everything correctly but if the winds not in your favor your screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my word...still remember the one hunt where it was zero degrees with winds biting into me as I got ready last year and slipped and barefeet and hands to catch me ended up in 12 inches of snow/ice....hate it but would never get dressed prior.

19. mathewshunter

mathewshunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is spraying down every layer nessasary or can you just do your last layer, i spray every layer as i put it on but i was just wondering, i prolly still will either way tho

20. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try smoking your clothing. Seriously. It works. I have yet to be smelled this year and have had a ton of deer downwind. Don't knock it unless you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk