Fixed vs. Mechanical

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bone_collector, Oct 17, 2014.

1. bone_collector

bone_collector Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know this will be a never ending discussion, and yes I am aware that any broadhead will kill a deer with good shot placement. But the question still remains. Fixed or mechanical? And what brands seem to have larger "impacts" than others?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've lost one booner to mechs (though it was years ago) and have not been happy with performance or design of any others I tried out. I swear by my NAP Hellrazors. The effin things are indestructible and fly great. I shot a doe this morning quartering away. Hit her in the ribs and passed clean through the opposite front shoulder. She ran maybe 30 yards and piled up, I picked up my perfect arrow and broadhead on the way over to her. I just don't see any room for improvement over these Hellrazors and this is the fourth deer I've put down with them, three of which passed through one, if not both shoulders.

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The question doesn't remain. What does remain is the 16,237,458 threads that have already been started on this exact topic.

4. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some thoughts from other discussions of similar nature that I have shared:

Facts of broadheads:

FACT #1 - Any broadhead will expire it's game very quickly if you hit both lungs or heart.

FACT #2 - Mechanicals while lack in penetration power by nature, they are more forgiving with gut/organ type shots "hitting the deer back". **Edit: This is due to the mere cutting diameter and potential for more mass cutting of organs and stomach.

FACT #3 - Fixed while "usually" lacking the overall cutting diameter, they penetrate more and are better at busting through ribs, legs and yes the shoulder due to their design and nature.

FACT #4 - There is no "best" at killing broadhead. All do their job if the hunter does theirs...there are advantages to both and to some it is one to others a different one.

IMO, I'm a fixed guy all the way. I dabbled in mechanicals, but I want my chances of pass throughs (penetration needed) to be the highest it can be for obvious reasons. Hence why I shoot fixed and a heavier and high FOC arrow.

also....

Two words SLICK TRICKS.......One word KILLZONES.....3 words G-5 MONTECS....one word THUNDERHEAD....3 words Dirt Nap Gear....

Slogans like the above state nothing, to the OP and anyone else seeking what broadhead to use do your own personal research. I've stated many of my personal thoughts here but none is more true than ANY broadhead will do the job if you do yours.

You need to ask what do you want your broadhead to do? Be bone crushing, huge slicing action, penetration power...than find a head that suits your desires...attach it to a properly designed arrow selection and nock that to a properly tuned bow and you will be happy with your choice.