Public land, what do you look for?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wingz4life2788, Oct 13, 2014.

1. wingz4life2788

wingz4life2788 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When you hunt public land do you just look for big open clearings? Can't seem to find any tell tale food sources and we have acorns and walnuts everywhere. I have not found any clear deer scrapes or rubs either. Is it have o early in year?

2. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where you are located. Im in Wisconsin. Found a good hand full of new rubs and last years rubs. I was reading and have been told from people that this time of year deer are gonna start heading into the hard woods. Not exactly sure how true that is though.
    if the area is big try to get to in the thick of it. Probably be you best bet. Also mid October is difficult to hunt. When bucks start to separate and work a certain area for the rut. someone on here would probably be able to tell you better info but thats just what i have been reading online is to get in the thick stuff. Try to put some cameras up?

3. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the "old days" we would actually scout for sign ourselves. It could take a few years to learn the patterns of deer, particularly bucks. Bow season on public land is usually less competitive, but perhaps not everywhere. Gun season is more of a "crap shoot", but you can learn from the deer and hunters once the blaze orange hits the woods.

My points being, if you're going to hunt public, you gotta put in more time than otherwise, and maybe even sacrifice short-term gratification for the long-term investment. I've enjoyed 30+ seasons in the Nicolet in northern WI, and have enjoyed plenty of venison, too.

4. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive been scouting the public ive been hunting but i cant seem to find any droppings or bedding? find randoms prints and rubs. This just something well get better at over time and experience?

5. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting is like fine wine...it gets better with age. The more time you spend researching and scouting the more you learn about the animal itself. Every time I think I know everything, I'm put back in my place. Deer are amazing animals that adapt, which turns the "game" into a romance. I enjoy looking and studying bowhunting/deer just as much as I love sitting in my stand. Start in March and keep a log of the things you see. Trust me, it pays off.

6. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ill def try that. dont mean to thread jack ya Wingz!

7. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting public lands for over 50 years and much of it large tracts. I look for funnels to set up near. A friend once said "everything is food out there" meaning the big tracts. look for the food and treat it like a farm field. look where they might approach the stand of timber. Acorns, maple leaves are good choices as are young stands of aspen.

It takes time to figure out bedding areas and travel routes but that is part of the fun.

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like crossing water. If you cross water you're going to see hunting pressure on the other side much lower. Seek transition areas where two types of vegetation meet, creek edges, point bedding, hot food sources. Its true hunting that many have lost tough with.

9. Where2Hunt

Where2Hunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We house a network of over 10,000 hunters who are public land hunting enthusiasts. It is a single hub for a communication point to find out what heard populations are like as well as hunting pressure in certain areas from the people who hunt them. You will not find another resource with an audience as engaged as ours. If you want to see where other hunters are located in proximity to you on public land while you're hunting you can also use our new W2H app, Where to Hunt App. Hope that helps some of you public land hunters!

10. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my area they have lots of archery zones. When the orange army starts shooting the deer run for cover on the archery zones. Thats where I will be sitting.

11. wingz4life2788

wingz4life2788 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for advice. I may go scout some of the archery zones too. I have had a tough time while sitting seeing or hearing anything. Seen a few while walking out, but then I get excited and set up right where I spooked instead of finding a good tree with good long lanes (40 -50 yds).

12. rtabaka

rtabaka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great post John, I have come to the stand conclusion, public land just takes time in the field and tube in the stand to figure out where to go.