Chasin' Does

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by deerhunter2381, Oct 9, 2014.

1. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is only my 5th year hunting, I was out last weekend, both Saturday and Sunday evenings, and I saw what looked like a younger buck grunting and chasing does around a bean field. Does this usually happen this early in the season? There was a older/bigger buck along the edge of the field, looked like he was checking a scrape. I didn't know if maybe since it has been a cooler year if rut might be starting a little early, or if it is just a young buck thing? The pic is of what I think is the "older" buck I saw. I have pics of about 5-6 different bucks.

We lost about 75% of the deer herd a few years back to blue tounge from the drought. Any ideas to how old he is?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well although that is odd some does can come into estrous now, but most come into estrous in November. I think it's just a young buck trying to show off and do what young teenagers do. The older bucks know better so they'll lay low and just watch until the real action begins towards late October and November.

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like a 2.5 year old with some serious potential. It also looks like he's missing an eye

4. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it might just be a young buck thing.

I've got him in other pics, he has both eyes.

5. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He means he is blind in one eye since only one eye showed up with the flash.