Wisconsin Youth Hunt

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Lester, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend is the Wisconsin youth gun season. Is anyone else taking any kids out for it?

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be sitting with Ally while a good friend of mine will be sitting with Justin. Hopefully with these cooler temps we will see some good bucks on their feet.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My brother will be taking his boys out.

4. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to the young hunters

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Tom.....and all the others who will have youth out.

7. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out this weekend! I assume you'll be in Buffalo County?

8. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick question dont mean to thread jack, but if i bow hunt while this is going on do i need to wear orange if im in the stand?

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I guess Ally drew the short straw. Poor kid. Oh well, maybe she will experience some success in spite of her guide. lol

Kidding of course! Taking your kids hunting is the most rewarding thing I have done in the outdoors. It just doesn't get any better than that. Best of luck to all parents/mentors that are taking kids hunting this year. It's our future.

If you have never done it, I encourage everyone to do it. You wont regret it.

10. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not taking anyone out, besides taking my daughter to her fastpitch softball tourney, and my son to flag football. Next year Kylie will be old enough to hunt, so that will be something to look forward too! Good luck Tom to you and the kids!

11. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm taking my son Charlie on his first hunt. He is 11 and we have been shooting the past few weeks. He is all jacked up. The real problem i've been having is finding descent hunting clothing for his size, particularly a Blaze orange coat thats of any quality. Cant wait myself.

12. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of getting kids out in the woods but I really dont care for the Wisconsin youth hunt. It could be simpley because I didnt get one when I was young and I had to wait many long years to hit the age of 12 so I could get out in the woods. Or it could be because I think of the Wisconsin 9 day gun season as a very special time. In my mind it takes away the importance of the 9 day hunt for the kids. They might just think oh I dont need to go in november I can go earlier. Or if they fill their tag (assuming they are in a buck only unit) they cant carry a gun during the 9 day hunt because its not legal to hunt if you dont have a vaild kill tag and thus it takes away from the experience of the 9 day for them. Maybe when I have kids I will change my mind. The only guy in our camp with kids doesnt take them out during the youth hunt either. His girls love hunting and his feelings are the same as mine. He wants them to know just how special the 9 day hunt is.

Sorry if thats a hijack! Just thought I would see if anyone else had thoughts like that. I do wish good luck to all the kids getting out in the woods this weekend! Its great they do have the opportunity to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors.

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Tom!

14. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to both of your kids! Please share pics and stories!

I'll be taking my 10yr old son in IL, our youth season this weekend also. Then hope to take my second son next year (he'll be 10 by then)...then still another daughter and son coming up...I figure I have 12 straight seasons of youth hunts before my youngest reaches the age limit...I'm going to love hearing those guns going off in Oct!

I still remember my favorite thing about hunting when younger was getting donuts on the drive out...so we'll do the same...keep it fun and you'll have life long hunting partners...