wind direction...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tburgee, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tburgee

tburgee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I use the mossy oak hunting weather app thing... gives me a decent look at what wind direction will be for my stand on certain days. I am in a new (to me) area, and this morning the wind (according to the app) was perfect, 5 mph, East/ South East - there is a creek behind me so its perfect wind for how the deer appear to be moving.

I sneak in the stand before daylight..... and the wind, instead of being in my face, is at my back... like a moron I wait till at least daylight to use the windchecker just to be sure. Sure enough, blowing directly at my back into the noses of anything coming my way.

I check the app again, the weather channel, all says East south east.... that being the case, it SHOULD be in my face... what would cause the switch? why would the wind be blowing the exact opposite? hills? the creek?

I am going to place another stand in an area about 100 yards away that SHOULD get my scent out of the way of this happens again... any clues why tho? ever happen to you?

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That app only uses prevailing wind data. Differences on terrain or elevation will often change wind direction.

3. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, sure has. It could be terrain, and sometimes I honesty think those apps are dead wrong. Usually they aren't the exact opposite, but you never know. I always verify before I walk in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What the other guys said is correct. While the majority of winds will be from the way the weather app states, terrain plays a pretty major part. That's why wind checkers or just knowing your hunting spots inside and out. I also cross check my weather apps to see if they're reading the same data. Sometimes the temps are 5-10 degrees variable, and the wind speeds differ greatly. Most of the time the wind direction is close to true, but not always the case.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great advice, always double-check technology, and carry a wind checker

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If all land were flat those apps would be flawless. Hills, valleys, thermals, etc. all cause it to be from different directions. About the only way you will find that out is to sit there and experience it for yourself for each stand location to see if there are any effects like that.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that the scout look program uses terrain along with local weather for stand sites so you may look into that. Like most guys winds out of the east are very rare for me and deer sightings go way down during this time for me.this is a strange weather pattern right now, my main hope is to get the corn out before the wet weather comes here.

8. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never listen to the wind on weather.com.

9. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use weatherunderground and it was dead on every day I hunted last year in west Ky.

10. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Hit the nail on the head right here.

11. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind directions will constantly change while sitting in your stand due to terrain and thermals. Hunting along the Mississippi river bluffs, I've found it damn near impossible to "play the wind" perfectly. That's one thing that drives me nuts on this site when someone has a good scent control subject going and there will be guys saying "scent control is a waste of time. Just sit downwind". Well if I "just sat downwind" I'd have to change my stand position 20 times a day.

12. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I'm one of those "hunt the wind" guys, lol.

I hunt big hill, hollow, bluff country. I have a clear understaning of mechanical turbulence, drafts and eddy's...so I only hunt where the wind is consistent, and that work's out great for me, because that's where mature like to spend the day also.

13. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    wind indicator is your best bet. I normal plan to hunt according to what the weather says buti always have a back up stand incase the wind is wrong using the indicator. Hunting hills and bottoms the wind can be crazy in south mississippi never hunted flat lands so not sure how that works.

14. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use scoutlook too but always check the wind at a nearby weather station from USFS or DNR or even local private stations that are close to where I am hunting. I also use windcheckers at my stand in case it switches.

You can look up USFS and DNR stations on ROMAN and the private stations on weatherunderground.

15. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I look at the app some. Where I live on top of the Cumberland Plateau I stop trying to play the wind years ago...lol. I Do everything in power to control my scent and Havn't had any issues killing 50+ deer since then. If I wanna hunt...playing the wind where I live, you could never hunt. It's at your face one minute and 10 minutes later it's at your back....lol. You would drive yourself nuts here trying it. I just do the best I can and have fun hunting.

16. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/63881-scent-smoker.html

read this thread.. might just work for you in your situation. next year after my back heals from alif back surgery I just had , im going to try this cus it makes sense and you can just hunt and your chances of the deers sniffer busting you goes way down....good luck to ya anyways!......derik

17. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
    Sorry, heard Bob Dylan on the radio today and thought of this post. Not trying to be smart...I use weather underground for real-time current wind direction, and scoutlook for wind forecast. Although trusting the sensations on your skin is refreshly simple.

18. InBuckHunter

InBuckHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also use the weather under ground to find the weather, wind direction, & speed before leaving to hunt.
    They have many more stations than the normal weather forecasters & you can pick the one closest to your hunting spot to find the weather info you need.
    Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground
    But even with the most accurate weather you can have the wind directions or weather change at any time. I have had the wind do a 180 on me in just a few minutes while sitting in the stand. You just have to be prepared for those changes.