Inviting guests to hunt your property, and QDMA.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mrjonwilson, Sep 18, 2014.

1. mrjonwilson

mrjonwilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

My buddy and I have tried to implement some QDMA strategies over the last few years and want to continue the trend. It's starting to pay off.

I'm just curious how you lay out rules for your guests when they hunt with you. Do you let them only shoot does? Do you require them to abide by the rules you have set for yourself?

I don't want to be "too strict", but we want to make sure the 1.5-3.5 (atleast) year old bucks are protected.

2. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lay out your rules on exactly how you hunt it. If they dont like it then they can go hunt somewhere else. If you dont want them to shoot bucks then tell them that and they should respect it.

3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your like most of us you have put enough time and money into getting your property just the way you want it then you have ever right to be strict about your hunting rules.

If you have an age limit tell your guests to stick with it. If they aren't really good at aging deer then you can order some instructional cards from the QDMA website that will help them judge a deers age.

For me and my property I usually ask anybody that hunts with us to at least take a doe if they are going to hunt with us and a buck needs to meet our restriction we have put on for that year.

But all that being said if its a kid hunting with us then they can shoot whatever they want.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. mrjonwilson

mrjonwilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies. That's really what I was thinking. If they've never killed a deer, then let them shoot anything that's legal. Otherwise, they follow our QDM rules.

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sounds good. Also there would be nothing wrong with putting your #1 hitlist buck off limits as well. You have put in the time and effort so that buck should be reserved for you.

6. mrjonwilson

mrjonwilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting point. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the reply!

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good advise above and just know, no good deed goes unpunished.

Your friends should be volunteering to play by your rules and should be putting up some $ towards the work and up keep of the property. I'm going in the other direction and just hunting with people that contribute. Had a good friend/guest go behind my back and try to work a side deal with the property owner recently. Really burned my arse and ended our friendship overnight so don't be to quick to invite guest once you've put in so much work and money.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they have no investment in that piece of property I sure wouldn't let them have any say what so ever. If they help with cameras, plots, scouting and so on, they should have a fair chance, or at least a say in what can be shot in my opinion.

9. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You just tell them what the rules are an educate them as much as you can about QDMA and why you have made the rules the way you did. They either oblige and be thankful to help out any way they can or they so no and you have to tell them thanks but no thanks. Don't be rude cause you don't want lose friendships or upset family but stick to your guns.

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our rules are that you can only shoot bucks with 8 points and the rack outside the ears. (Occasionally you get a bruiser 6 or 7 pointer that qualifies) If you mess up and shoot a button or spike, you pay $100 towards maintainence costs. First-time hunters get a pass to shoot whatever they want.

At first we had tons of buttons and spikes, but after 7 or so years of consistent restraint, we have nice bucks.

11. The Butcher

The Butcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always say to hold out for a buck as big or bigger than your best. unless its a youngun, then its whatever makes them happy. i have as much enjoyment as shooting the deer myself when i get to hear how they killed a deer that makes them ecstatic.

12. mrjonwilson

mrjonwilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replies.

It's all on par with what I was thinking. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't being too strict. :)

13. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my buddy hunts with me on my family farm that we share with my uncle. He only allows my buddy to shoot doe's. I would let him shoot a big buck but its not worth having a family fight over it so I go with that.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If hesitant on their control invite them for a doe management hunt or two...only does being the target, everything else off limits.

15. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went hunting with an outfitter in IL last year. Though IL doesn't have specific regulations, the outfitter did. It had to be a mature buck. It had to have a spread of at least 12 inches, and it had to have mass to it. I believe they had a height restriction, also, but I don't recall. They were more lenient with me because it was my first buck. (Like stated above, if it's their first deer, you can always be a bit more "open"). They also had if you wounded a buck and did not recover it - you were done. You could go back out looking for it - but could not shoot another.