some tips for a new guy

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dmaxkid_90, Sep 17, 2014.

1. dmaxkid_90

dmaxkid_90 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so due to a argument I lost access to all private land I would normally hunt. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers for hunting public land in the early season with no prior scouting. I hunted this property last year however it was mid rut and still yet only managed to see 3 deer during the season. I know a few bedding areas and just don't know the hot areas where they feed minus apparently not where I was last year. Mind you I only have one tree stand available to me till I can manage to get the rest from the other land. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Start your scouting with aerial photos to find food and cover and topo maps to find benches, saddles and funnels. Lots of guys can provide help with this if you don't know what I'm talking about. Cameras would help but must be deep into woods on public land or they disappear. Next make a plan and get boots on ground and eyes on places you expect deer..
    Hope this helps.

3. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going at it about the same way, but its my first try bow hunting. Like head2toe said aerial photos are a great place to start. I just got to scout the two places I think will work on public land a couple weeks ago and they look better than I had hoped. Good luck hope you get out and have a good time. :woot:

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to be willing to do things the other guys wont. That might be walking a mile or two to get to a stand, canoeing way back into the most remote places on that land. Think outside the box, these deer have seen and heard everything you can possibly think of so don't follow the norm. Obviously watch your scent, look for pinch points, and study your maps! Good luck.

5. dmaxkid_90

dmaxkid_90 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    okay so many aerial photos and scratching my head for hours. I have found two main areas I would like to hunt. my problem is they are in the middle of the land. so im not sure how to approach them. they are surrounded by tall crp land they use as bedding and I really don't know if walking through the corn/bean fields are a good idea. should I pick a certain time?

6. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: