A photo progression of a bucks life

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by trial153, Sep 14, 2014.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a huge fan of Charles J. Alsheimer. I don't idolize many people in the deer world but he is one of the very very few that I hold in very high regard. There are people that talk the talk and don't walk the walk but this guy is the real deal.

3. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was an awesome article felt like I was the one watching him grow from a spike to a monster buck...Thanks for sharing really enjoyed it!

4. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite rack was when he was 10.5 years old, what a great story!

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great article/photo progression. Thanks for sharing, I really liked it.

7. RageThruTheCage

RageThruTheCage Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great article!!!

9. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome article. thanks for sharing!!

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think this article will be really eye opening for a number of hunters. What a cool article! Gota let them grow to at least 4 1/2 to know what you are going to get!

11. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. Great article. I always wondered about lifespan.

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm surprised this deer made it so old!! Definitely a cool story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty neat article. Surprising how old they'll get if left alone really.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Some background info for those of you that are unfamiliar with the area this article is referring too.

The Adirondacks are for the most part terrible deer habitat. They consist of the Adirondack park which is the largest park in the lower 48 states. Most of which is forever wild. Farming is minimal to non existent in most of the park. Deer densities are very low and in most counties the kill is about 1-2 DEER per square mile. Keeping in mind that while deer in habit the entire region, there are pockets of habitat that hold more deer and therefore have more deer killed ....so the 1-2 deer per squ mile killed isn't far off the mark....tough/ terrible hunting.
    There are areas along the western and northern fringes of the part ( the st Lawrence valley for example ) that have much better habitat.

I am not 100% sure where this buck was located or if it was in the park proper or on the outskirts.

The author mentions 30-40 deer living on the estate (3000 acres) using the high number that is about 8.8 deer per square mile!!

I also do feel that the pictures are in no indicative to the avg mature buck in the Adirondacks. Most 4-8 year bucks that I have seen would measure between 110-140.
    But not knowing were this buck lived it's hard to make any assumptions except that no doubt supplemental feeding and no hunting pressure had an impact on this bucks progression.

All in all the article serves as one of the best illustrations I have seen in so far age progression vs antler size.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Some background info for those of you that are unfamiliar with the area this article is referring too.

The Adirondacks are for the most part terrible deer habitat. They consist of the Adirondack park which is the largest park in the lower 48 states. Most of which is forever wild. Farming is minimal to non existent in most of the park. Deer densities are very low and in most counties the kill is about 1-2 DEER per square mile. Keeping in mind that while deer in habit the entire region, there are pockets of habitat that hold more deer and therefore have more deer killed ....so the 1-2 deer per squ mile killed isn't far off the mark....tough/ terrible hunting.
    There are areas along the western and northern fringes of the part ( the st Lawrence valley for example ) that have much better habitat.

I am not 100% sure where this buck was located or if it was in the park proper or on the outskirts.

The author mentions 30-40 deer living on the estate (3000 acres) using the high number that is about 8.8 deer per square mile!!

I also do feel that the pictures are in no indicative to the avg mature buck in the Adirondacks. Most 4-8 year bucks that I have seen would measure between 110-140.
    But not knowing were this buck lived it's hard to make any assumptions except that no doubt supplemental feeding and no hunting pressure had an impact on this bucks progression.

All in all the article serves as one of the best illustrations I have seen in so far age progression vs antler size.

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:

17. trial153

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  18. trial153

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  19. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is great. thanks for sharing,

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I remember seeing the video D&DH did on this buck. Very interesting indeed.