Scent Control, Camo Poll

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by .09 Outdooors, Sep 7, 2014.

?

How Importent is Scent control and Camo

1. Doesn't matter

6.1%
  2. I wear camo

3.0%
  3. Camo and scent control is good

45.5%
  4. Don't go in the woods without it...EVER

43.9%
  5. Deer urine is my cologne

1.5%
  1. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you think scent control/having all the newest, same kind of camo on is super important? Sometimes ill get all geared up and spray my clothes with scent free stuff, put a cover scent on my boots, wear all camo, face paint it up, dont do anything in the stand but watch...But most of the time (early season at least) I am in a camo t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Probably packing a lip, and when I get bored Ill call people and see if they have any luck yet. I personally think the whole scent, camo idea of hunting is way over blown... I have shot deer at 20 yards in jeans, sneakers, and my white lacrosse hoodie multiple times. Just would love to know how you guys weigh in

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way overblown...without a doubt. Same here, have shot a lot of deer wearing blue jeans and work boots and drab colored shirts. I use camo and I use scent control now but it's not a necessity. I think it allows you to get away with a lot more mistakes and I love me some camo as a general rule. The only cover scent I use would be Evercalm on my boots.

3. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have been in stands and put dip spit on a deers back and they just jump and look around like where did that come from, and then go on doing what they were doing

4. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I try to be as "scent free" as possible but I don't go out and spend $800+ dollars every year on the best and newest scent control suite. I had purchased a un insulated Yukon gear carbon suite and was with scent killer product an spray down every time before a hunt and store in a carbon bag. In my opinion I have not spent enough time testing it but the results I have shown that it work. I wear under armour under layers and after 4 days of hunting hard they do not smell at all also washing them in scent killer products and spraying them. Next year I will either be buying scent blocker or under armour. I think it's all opinion and how much money you want to spend and what you believe in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some products can work better than others, but as far as buying a $250 jacket instead of a $100 one just because the other one can carbon in it i'm not for. I shower before I hunt and use scentfree soap, and I spray down but. The deer here are smarter than most places, probably because of hunting pressure.

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control is number one for me. Camo on the other hand is optional. I wear camo not just so the deer don't see me, but more so for everything else in the woods. Other animals will alert everything else around you that you are there.
    Most importantly play the wind and be still.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will not hunt if I can not shower first. I also have early, mid and late season cammo

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Grampa told me when I was 14 years old, "Play the wind." (and grampa was a very smart man :))
    I shower and spray down... but the biggest deer I ever killed with a bow found me in FULL blaze orange :jerry:

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It easily can be done without either, but they're in the category that up the odds in my opinion;I would rank proper scent control WAY MORE IMPORTANT then camo.

10. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    YUP!!! That nose of theirs is all powerful... :ninja:

11. Yote

Yote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been known to mix and match my camo and I spay down for scent control about 3/4 of the time. But I'll always hunt the wind. Sometimes getting an evening hunt means hitting the woods right after work.

12. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't go to the woods without it ever - but I was voting more for scent control . You will never be able to go to the woods completely scent free , no matter what some products claim but minimizing one scent can have less of an impact on the area you hunt .

I'm more concerned about the scent that I leave while entering and exiting a stand than I am while in the stand . I always play the wind and use Evercalm to help cover my entry/exit trail .

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could care less what camo is on the clothing. I just look for quality gear that will keep me comfortable longer.

When it comes to scent control I usually side with if they get downwind they will smell you regardless. Even though I think they will bust me no matter what, I still shower in scent free wash, wash clothes in scent free detergent, store my clothes in a tote, and spray down in the field.

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are 2 mutually exclusive things that should not be combined into a poll.

Camo is not a necessity.

Scent "control" (read: "reduction") is not a necessity if you play the wind.

Scent control IS a necessity if you hunt somewhere you cannot "hunt the wind".

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Winds are never consistent.....I can't "play the wind" at a bonfire and not leave smelling like smoke...just sayin'

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love to find this perfect stand location where the wind never changes, because I don't have any stands like this. I try to eliminate as much scent as possible, and use a cover scent to mask what I couldn't eliminate. As far as camo goes, It probably helps, at least a little, but deer see movement, and it doesn't really matter what you are wearing if you are moving, the deer will see you.

17. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It may not be necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Always go in with camo and sprayed down

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

19. DCooke

DCooke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    camo helps.. scent cotrol is more crucial to me. native americans did this using much less technology. play the wind and be mindful of movement.

20. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had another eye opening experience with my Ozonics last week and have the video to prove it. On a bear hunt , the wind switched and stayed out of the north. Had a beauty 300+ pounder come in and spend a few minutes down wind of me. You can say all you want about bears being tolerant of human scent.....but you were not there. The bear seemed clueless to my presence before I pulled off a double lunger on him. I realize Ozonics is not in everyone's budget or belief.....but you had to be there to see.