Best early season attractant.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Yancey, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year hunting this early. It my first season bow hunting so I'm use to hitting the wood in November for gun season. I was just wondering what sent/attractants/lures some of you more seasoned vets have had sussess with over the year. Any tips or tricks would be a huge help.

Hope y'all have great luck this season.

2. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    worlds best attractant............pile of corn

3. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I know that. I've got that out year round. And sugar beets too. But these dang things just seen to only want to eat supper when the suns down and I'm thing to come up with something that works to draw then out while the suns up.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You won't beat a pile of corn.

5. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats why i bought a feeder this year, set it to go off at 8am and 10 am. now they know if they wanna eat the corn they must come early

6. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup what they said about corn. Check your state game laws though, in Indiana its illegal to put anything out 10 days prior to hunting season and throughout it.

7. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's all legal here if it's been established and maintained for 6 months, which it has been and much longer. I guess I'll try changing my timing on the feeder until later in the day. Right now I put 4 seconds(1lbs) on the ground about 7am but they still don't touch it until the sun goes down. Maybe changing the timing will change their routine.

8. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've also in the past used doe in heat during/near rut time with mixed success. Just didn't know if that scrape stuff or any other of the tinks attractant had played in anyone's favor.

9. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Corn boss man. I don't really use any scents or attractants early season. If I do it's just Tinks Hot Shot #1 Doe P as a cover scent but hardly ever do that either. All about the food and water source.

10. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips. I may try that salad dressing tinks makes just for the fun of it to see if I get any response out of it. I may get lucky. You never know.

11. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's just like a dinner bell.

12. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay this is what you do, easiest and best attractant I have ever used, all credit goes to teenbowhunter on The Ohio Outdoors,
    1) get a 2 1 gallon jugs, cleaned out of whatever was in their
    2) get a log/stump where you will be hunting by, peferable rotting away
    3) get these ingredients, 2 bottles of the cheapest maple syrup you can find, 2 big cans or whatever they are of salt the cheapest stuff you can find, 1 bag of sugar, and 2 of the big containers of grape or apple kool aide not the packets but the bigger ones should be like 3 bucks for one I have had best results with these two flavors because they put out a super strong aroma.
    4) mix 1 bottle of syrup, 1 thing of salt, half a bag of sugar, and 1 container of kool aide in jug and repeat if making more than one.
    5) add 1/4 cup of water to it and shake it and poor over the log. Than add another 1/4 cup to it to rinse out the rest of the stuff left in the container and repeat for other jugs.
    6) put out camera and boom!! Pics of booners all day, well maybe not but you will get deer coming and the aroma will draw them in and the salty sweet will have them coming back all day, here is them over my mixture fighting for the dirt it was pored onto to even see if it worked
    [​IMG]

It will stay there as long as it doesn't rain hard.
    And the main thing is to not over check you camera or be back at your spot a lot! I learned the hard way and almost turned my shooters that were coming in at 8am and 7pm every night into night prowlers so be in and out fast and make sure when you do check/ fill feeders you are preparing like you're going hunting which means good scent control.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  13. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can see where they just ate the plot right down to the dirt and are just not stopping. Good thing I put more out today!

14. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And P.S not trying to be rude by any means but I would just try the stuff I listed to buy first and try that out first, it's cheaper and way easier

15. wrassjd

wrassjd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scouting, scouting, and more scouting. Learning where deer bed and feed. That is hunting. "There is no magic pixie dust". Quote from one of the best whitetail hunters of our time, Dan Infalt. But I guess if you don't have time or don't want to put in the effort, a pile of corn will work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts are more in line with this than the others...however I understand for many time doesn't allow much outside of a couple times of the year and baiting is the way to go for them to be successful. Me personally I have never baited, nor do I have the urge or desire to (good thing I live in Indiana :) ). All that said though Infalt's line of "There is no magic pixie dust" has a ton of truth in it.

One cannot simply expect to place food that is desirable out somewhere and deer come running....just ain't that simple. Sure over time and consistency can condition deer to feeding times...but even then they may not come to the food outside of darkness.

That seems to be the case for you...which means either one of two things is gonna have to happen:

#1 - Keep baiting, change the timer and hope they change it up and come to it during hunting hours.

#2 - Figure out why it isn't working.

I highly recommend #2 because hunting is all about studying a deer's behavior and attempting to figure out how they tick in every essence of the word. Is the bait pile simply out in the open where only dumb young naive deer would come during daylight (no security cover isn't good). Are you asking them to traverse miles from any kind of daytime bedding cover...which would make it tough for them to feed on the bait? Is there other food sources within cover or closer to cover for them to eat during the day (browse, nuts, corner pockets of crop fields...) and then your bait at dark when safer.

At minimum though change the timer on the feeder to just after daylight or just before dark....and work towards more light if they start hitting it then.

Good luck this year....you arrow your first deer and it will be a rush like no other (not describable with words).

17. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thanks. I'll have to give it a shot. Im also going to try to change the timing on the feeder and see if that will help too. I know where they are it's just a matter of getting some cooperation out of them(but who wants to go get a bite to eat and catch an arrow). I'm out there a good bit in the off season just walking the woods to see what I can find and generally have some luck. It's just it's normally November and they've got more then good on their minds if you know what I mean. Thanks again for the tip.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    If you truly want to attract a particular buck to your stand setup, the best and least intrusive way would be to hang your stand near where he is already feeding, and continually spread corn in the same place every 4 or 5 days until season.

I rarely get mature bucks to feed from my feeders (that's not why I have them up though), but to have them hit loose corn on the ground is another story. Corn laying on the ground is not "foreign" to a deer, so there is no learning/trust curve to it.

That being said, I've never killed a mature buck this way, but I know ALOT of people who have. Including those on tv. You ever wonder why bucks come right in and hang around on tv? There's corn hidden where the viewer can't see it ;)

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Fwiw...I had spectacular results getting bucks to use my mock scrapes in the daylight last year. I didn't establish them until November though. This year I already have 3 out (not rutting formula). Well see what the results are.

20. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know it's hard but you got to stay out of the area you're hunting if you want them to come in. Don't be walkin the woods cause that's putting pressure on them, pressure on them will drive them out of the area, driving them out of the area will have a drastic decrease in even seeing a deer on camera let alone in person. Fill your feeder, throw 100 pounds on the group make the stuff I gave the reciepe for, put up 2 cameras if you have them one on a trail you may be thinking they are using and another facing the pile/ feeder and stay out for 2 weeks and they may come back out during the day. You have to keep the pressure out of their there or the bucks you want to come in never will due to all the pressure.