Hunting in heat...how quickly does meat spoil?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by patmcm129, Aug 26, 2014.

1. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So bow hunting starts in Delaware this monday, forecast is for a high of 90! It's against my better judgement to go out, but like everyone else I have the itch.

On the off chance I shoot something, how long do you have in say 80 degree weather to get the meat cool before it spoils? I've heard of putting ice in cavity, but its a long drag out and I don't want to bring ice to treestand, although maybe i should!

Thanks!

2. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could give it a couple of hours. We hunt in warm conditions a lot and it really isn't a problem.

I shot a doe last year on October 3rd and had her cleaned 3 hours later; it was in the 80's that day.

The worst part is if you don't make the best shot in the world that 'leaving them overnight' will most definitely spoil the meat

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had this problem lol

4. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm originally from PA, brother has a cabin in Snow Shoe, near State College and I have no desire to hunt that state ever again due to wacky game laws and seasons!

5. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ur fine. Just don't waist any time. The quicker you get it in some ice water the better it'll be. Two maybe three hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have a few hours in that temperature before bacteria settles in. Just make sure to wash out the inside with cold water and get it processed ASAP. I don't let meat hang unless it's under 50* so I would just get ice in the cavity if you can't get it to a freezer within 2-3 hours.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Killing is not the problem, it's the wait for the meat locker to open the next day for me. Last season I killed early and packed the deer in ice inside and out and still did not taste the best. I could drive 40 miles to a relative with a walkin cooler but after last season killing my buck in sept and having nothing to do until rifle season to go buck hunting again it's going to have to be a monster to shoot one early ever again.

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I throw a bag of ice in them on the way home

10. romadcow

romadcow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You could use Game Saver or something similar on entry/exit wounds and the cavity then put a sealed bag of ice in the cavity...that should keep the meat relatively cool and bug free. You could also look on some Alaska hunting forums for what people use on float/fly-in hunts...probably some DIY recipes to slow bacteria and repel bugs. Should be fine overnight if you get it dressed out and iced down ASAP after the kill.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If this is the case I'd gut, clean and ice during transport. Quarter the deer when getting home and pack in coolers with ice/ice packs.

~Bill