The hunting lease network

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by raptorfx, Aug 24, 2014.

1. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey friends..just curious about a certain something..has anyone here ever used the hunting lease network to lease ground for deer season and if so..whats the deal?...I ran across the website and it looks very promiseing...if anyone can tell me anything it sure would help...the only thing that could possibly be a problem is the priceing of the leases...im gonna keep it in mind for next year...

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll say what the other 60+ other people were thinking and didn't say anything. Here is the 411 in IMHO. We would all be better off without sites like these. Pricing gouging machines. Sets a really bad precedence. Have a bucket of lube when you sign the lease because you just got (Fill in the blank here).

3. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well heckler trust me I just looked at their prices and there is no way in hell that im paying the kind of money they want...the hunting lease network can kiss my a--- I would rather quite hunting if i had to pay them prices...heck you can kill a 140 inch buck at a deer preserve in ohio for that kind of money.......hmmm...that's not really a bad idea...

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to agree in premise but it is capitalism at work. There is obviously a demand or else they wouldn't still be around. But I do think they have led directly to decreased access for the average hunter.

I guess until people won't pay the money then the prices will stay high.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are always going to be guys out where money is no object. Typically what we see through sites like these is out of state lessees from the east coast. Most of them lease the property without ever setting foot on it until hunting season. It drives the lease prices up so high the local guys that have been hunting properties for years get the boot because they cant afford the premium prices. I am all for capitalism however at some point it just becomes straight up crooked.

In the end why pay the middle man when you can do the leg work for less than half the price. I looked at that site a couple years ago. Opening bid on all land in my area was $20-30 an acre.

6. arpy00

arpy00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 155 acres and keep 40 of it as a sanctuary. The only time I go in to the "area" is in the spring and it is just to cut down or hinge cut as many trees to keep it as thick as possible. Does it work? I believe it does...as there are many trails in and out of the area. And, for what it is worth, I had a "rookie" deer hunter get turned around one year and walked through it during gun deer season....6 deer came past me, 3 bucks in that group. I know more went in other directions. I know that is a bit anecdotal..but it convinced me that sanctuaries are effective.