Anyone hunt in a neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by spoon33, Aug 22, 2014.

1. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My family and I are moving into a new house this fall and the neighborhood is broken up into two sections with trees and a creek going between the two. I have a friend whose house backs up to the trees, so I wouldn't have any problems with access. It would be in city limits, so a bow would be the only thing allowed. I just worry about shooting a deer and it running into the street or somebody's yard. Anyone hunt in a neighborhood with success or have any bad stories?

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats how I grew up hunting. Hunting small suburb plots outside of Philly. In the right areas it can be super action packed and a ball to hunt. But not easy like some would think. Has a whole different list of challenges. Dogs barking and chasing deer, anti hunter neighbors, cars at all hours, kids playing in yards, the list goes on. So hard to pattern deer because they can be interrupted so many different ways. And like you said, never know where the deer will pass once you put an arrow in it. But dont let that scare you off. Its a fun way of hunting over all. I miss it like crazy. Its best to try and speak with neighbors. Dont lead with telling them you are hunting next door. Ask for permission to feel them out then go from there. You will probably find antis but the law should be on your side if you hit one and it runs on their land. Its best to have a good relationship with as many in the neighborhood as possible.

3. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle hunts at the back end of his neighborhood behind his house on a creek and killed a 10 and 2 8 points last year with his crossbow. Just depends on several things as stated above.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Use it to your advantage, I have shot many bucks with a leaf blower going off in the distance

5. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one 10 acre farm like this. Have taken 2 off it last year. Fortunately both died within 20 yards of where they were shot. Have not had to track one yet.

I think we are going to see more and more hunting of this type as our forested lands shrink and more paved roads and developments take over. The north east is notorious for this and small pockets of forest are about all that's left in some places. As bow hunters, we are going to be called on to reduce the herds in residential areas. The other option is the sharpshooter "cull". RI currently has two townships in discussion about this type of situation. The residents have not wanted hunting in their towns in the past, but are now they are crying because there are too many deer and lyme is running rampant. Some of these landowners are now realizing that it's either allow hunting, allow the cull or keep getting sick.

There is a clear need for urban hunting organizations and I am hoping that our state is trying to come up with a plan to address this situation.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been part of hunts that are in neighborhoods. They asked us to come in and kill the deer that were eating all the flowers. I set up on a ladder stand on this guy's backyard. There was a ravine behind me that the deer came up out of. About 5:30 about 5 doe came up out of the ravine and were all within 10 yards of me. I picked out the biggest one and let the arrow fly. Complete pass thru. The doe jumped and ran straight for the neighbors front yard. Got his driveway and fell over. Bleeding like crazy. The neighbor came out and got the water hose. He said thanks for killing the deer, they are a nuisance. He said he was glad his wife wasn't there to see that. She would have freaked out.
    I understand your concern, but personally, I don't care what other people or neighbors would think or say. I am whitetail deer hunter and as long as I am not breaking the law, I am going to hunt. When and wherever I am able. Some of the biggest bucks I have EVER laid eyes on were in or near neighborhood that you could not hunt. Many people think they are cute and adorable until one jumps through a windshield, totals a car or starts eating anything plant they put in their yard. Then, they want them gone.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a doe reduction area south of town & this will be the second year I have hunted it. The key is to make a good shot. The last thing You want is a gut shot deer laying dead under some kids swing set. Also, the deer in these areas are a lot more tolerant of noise, scent etc. Last year the doe I shot was @ 13 yards & expired less than 40 yards from where I shot her. It was right at dusk when I shot her so I was able to track/recover her in the dark & not attract to much attention. In the photo you can see the short grass she's laying in. Neighbors yard. image.jpg

8. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the edge of town with four duplexes right next the woods. I hear people coming and going and dogs barking all the time. Doesn't seem to bother the deer at all.
    [​IMG]

9. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post Smitty. Very true about the situation here in RI. I hope they allow us hunters to help take care of the problem as apposed to sharpshooters.

10. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I locked in an urban property this year also and its going to be interesting. My step father-in-law lives in a very wealthy neighborhood in Indianapolis and owns about 8 acres with a couple other families. He told me to hunt it as much as i want to but i would have to make sure the other families knew about it. None of the other families cared about me hunting it except for one that was unsure of it but said yes anyway because they have known my wife for a good while. Im kinda nervous because ive gotten good trail cam photos back there and its loaded with does(my freezer will be full to the brim needless to say). Im just worried that a deer is going to die on someones driveway or front doorstep. I just hope that the deer i get die in the woods and im able to get in and out of there as quickly and as unnoticed as possible. Hopefully everything goes smooth for you man and no problems with people in the neighborhood!!

11. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Simply check and see if your state supports urban archery season for that exact reason. Here in NC we have does like rats running the streets in our gated golf, and lake communities. They are a damn danger thats for sure I my self have had two does jump into the side of my truck twice in the last seven years on foggy mornings heading down into the low ground by the lake on my way to work.

12. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What app is that?

13. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in suburbia of Northern Virginia where it is CROWDED. It is truly a unique experience when your hunt depends on if the neighbor let's their dog out into the backyard while you're putting pins on a 4.5 year old 10 point. Really really take care to make solid shots so they don't run farther than 40 or 50 yards. Also its usually kind to inform your neighbors. 99% of the time they'll run for cover vs running into the street, but a bad shot will cost you tracking through a few yards or so. Good luck!

14. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My #1 and #3 hit listers are on neighboring 5 acre properties. I had to cut hunts short last year because kids were sledding too close to my stand. It's interesting...but lots of fun.

15. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Huntstand. I like it gives. Simple to use and it's free.

16. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted near a neighborhood once because I had seen many deer there. When I hunted I didn't see any deer and I couldn't stand the constant noise from being near people. I realized then that peace and quiet were big reasons I enjoyed hunting so I went back to hunting deep in the woods. I would only hunt near people if that were my only option.

17. SummitOutdoors

SummitOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In Arkansas we have a law that you must be 50 yards away from any residence. But I have had great success hunting behind my friends house. Just make sure you can get a good shot to avoid a dead deer in someones driveway haha

18. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i single lunged a buck and we bumped it when tracking. ended up laying down in a guys yard. So we called him up and said stay inside we dont want u scaring the deer. ha. The deer actually walked head first into the side of his house. It literally died in arms reach of their porch. They thought it was neat and wished their son was home to see it, because he just got his first bow.

19. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt an 8 acre piece that backs to a huge reservoir. If the deer runs into the woods in the reservoir it's not an issue as I can take my time and track. I've contacted both neighbors and asked for permission to track a wounded deer on their land (both 6+ acres) just in case. Now if they'd only let me hunt their land I'd be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watch people play tennis and deer hunt at the same it. I also (last year) had land scrapers come and mow the grass when I was in a stand. Funny part was they didn't know I was there. Soon as they left, the deer came out and I shot my secound doe of the year at day.