Lost my spot!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keith Mako, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] My friend called m3 to say he has to move a mile away from his house. We have done a lot of work on this land. I have to start all over again. We are not to far from his house so we should be able to pull the deer over but still sucks. We cut down trees and got the ladder stand all set up. Put food plots in and mineral spots.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks you lost the property, but it may be a blessing in disguise if it's in RI, because it's illegal to use salt/mineral licks, AND Illegal to intentionally plant food for animals/deer. (food plots not for human consumption)

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was just gonna say the same thing as I remembered you saying something one time....BIG BLESSING as long as no one sees.

4. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    It was for squirrels lol

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What you paid in $ is what you lost the rest was a gift

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    did some pix get deleted or something? Other than the corner of what might be a plot seed bag, I didn't see anything illegal.

7. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    No we planted radishes and grass bombs. Mineral was in another spot we did it more for the herds health.

8. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Swamper - I agree with you on the minerals, but the way I read the regs, it seems that you can plant food plots.
    Of course, I don't have any property, so it's not an issue for me, but I think that food plots are allowed. I guess they consider it agricultural practices.......

This came right from DEM web site.
    Hunting Regulations for the 2014-2015 Season

Feeding and baiting wildlife in the state of Rhode Island is not permitted at anytime for any purposes except:
    10.1 1.2 By planting, cultivating, or harvesting of crops directly associated with bona fide agricultural practices, including planted wildlife food plots;

9. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have the mineral spots where we hunt. Granted yes its against dem but we do it for the health of the deer. We want a healthy herd. I don't like breaking the rules but when it is just to benefit the health of the animals I will. We don't put any thing out after September until February. When food source is low.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that sucks!

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...it totally contradicts itself to me, "Bona-fide agricultural practices".... including planted wildlife foodplots.

I could have sworn it read the opposite last year, thats why on my property i was getting ready to plant a corn field, and put in fruit trees rather than a deer food plot. hmmm...that changes a few things.
    Thanks for pointing that out Smitty! :tu:

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiosity what mineral were you using? :D Just playing devil's advocate is all....because depending how you answer it may not be encouraging an overall healthy herd at all :)

I 100% disagree with disallowance of minerals (true supplemental minerals) but I gotta deal with IN's laws. Here we can use it but have to remove it 10 days prior. We just did this all yesterday here...dug up some of it, fenced off a circle around it to ensure no use from the deer...it sucks but it is the only way we can legally go about it here after discussions with DNR.

I'd have a hard time I think if the state completely made it illegal, but I don't have to deal with that here in IN.

13. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    deer cane I think The guy that owns the land got some thing else I don't remember the name.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be rude...but that stuff is doing nothing for herd health. Attractant yes, it is mainly salt and by mainly I mean more than 90%.

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get yourself some Monster Raxx, you will not look back.

16. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    thanks I thought I was doing some thing good for the deer. I hate how companies say its good for the deer and all its doing is attracing them. I went out and bought deer and deer hunter had a hole write up about minerals. Is monster raxx good for the deer or just another attractant?

17. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    Not rude I take all that is said on these posts as help. I dont want to give the deer filler. I want to make a healthy herd. I dont think I will be puting any thing out. It is against the rules as stated. I dont like to cheat on any thing. Thanks for the insight.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I would error on the side of caution as well...but if you ever can do minerals I would most definitely look into mineral supplements like Monster Raxx at minimum. Things that are lower in salt (talking sub 40% at most) with plenty of minerals and good balance of ingredients to encourage overall health of a deer (not just antler growth, but my opinion healthy deer-healthy antlers). I love Monster Raxx and believe in it 100% just wish Indiana would let us have sites out all year.

19. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keith - You said that you know it's against the law, but you're doing it anyway for the health of the herd? Wow! That statement speaks volumes.

Swamp Stalker - Hey, I doubt that you will regret planting fruit trees! Maybe not this year, but down the road you will be a happy camper. You still have time to get something in the ground for a food plot even if it is winter rye.

Ty, I've done some reading on the "benefits of minerals", but since they are illegal here in RI, I have not made any attempt to become an expert. I believe that one of the reasons it's not legal is the concern about some of the diseases that are spreading across different areas of the country. I have not read any "proof" of this, but it has something to do with the concentration of deer in a specific area. Of course, the experts have also indicated that deer farms may be a huge contributing factor in this matter. I've enjoyed reading your posts and your web site. Thank you for sharing.

I find it very ironic that the state forbids baiting, feeding, silencers and shooting at night; but when they were discussing a deer cull on Block Island, suddenly, all of these things were waived. It sort of blows some big holes in DEM's rationale for making these things illegal. Guess the state was doing it for the health of the herd.

20. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    Read my last post I know its wrong so now I wont.