Hardest and Easiest Places to Find Hunting Land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by patmcm129, Aug 22, 2014.

1. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you think, state wise, are the hardest and the easiest places to find good places to hunt? Public or private.

I've only hunted private land as I've been lucky enough to get into clubs when I moved to a new area. Paid $900 a year in New Jersey and now $525 here in Delaware. I considered myself lucky in both instances to find a private spot.

Thoughts?

2. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in South Eastern Ky, we have a lot of old strip mining property that we hunt. I usually try to find a spot that is hard to access so that other hunter won't walk all over me. Most hunters are lazy and won't work hard for a good spot. I try to draw deer in with bait sites and track their movements using the video modes on my cameras. The video mode tells me a lot like where the deer are coming from and heading to.

3. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Alabama it's easy to find a club. If you want private land, you just ask permission. Most here are free if you offer to help with land maintenance through out the year.

4. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MI - hard to find good land...public or private.

5. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol..try finding hunting leases here where I am...its a lose lose situation..im just gonne find a lease on the hunting lease network next year..(if nothing bad happens)..and go from there...that is if the dang lease are not sky-high...everyone here are very very very protective of the deer...I get such a kick out of seeing guys squirm when you ask them if they have seen any deer..boy it can get quiet real fast....everybody just clams up and leaves....my dad is in very very bad health right now so I cant even say for sure how many times I might get to hunt this year...if I do at all..

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's somewhat hard around here to find hunting ground. You still can but most of the time you haveta be willing to pay a decent price. Guy right next to ground I hunt gets 2500 from 2 different groups, one for one weekend of shotgun and the other for 1 week of bowhunting. So on top of kind of high prices and ground already taken by a few big outfitters it's kind of difficult but can be done.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana (at least north of Indy) is tough...smallest percentage of public land in the country; and farmers will whine all day long about deer damage and then deny access in the same breath.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of the farmers I know that despise hunters either are hunter's themselves or have/are dealing with dip**** hunters trespassing, poaching or were idiots when allowed on.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That's exactly the case in my area. My dad and uncles (farmers) hate hunters and I live to hunt. Just shows how one bad person can ruin it for everyone else. I think people forget it's not their land (when asking for permission) and think they should get a free pass to hunt it and are ticked off when they get a no.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri is fairly easy for public land with a bow. There are a lot of state run conservation areas around that range from 100 acres to 5000 acres. A few larger and a few smaller with the average probably being around 400 acres or so. A few of these areas are closed to rifle hunting and can only be deer hunted with a bow. We also have some fairly large tracts of National Forest. Most of these areas aren't crowded at all during archery season but I will not hunt them during rifle season. Too many people. Consequently, the best time to hunt public land is before rifle season which usually starts around Nov. 15th.

11. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem...tons of public land in the west.

12. DCooke

DCooke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    we lost our Delaware lease this year. i'm seeing what NJ state land is like, but so far i haven't heard many positives.

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's rough out here. I have to drive at least a mile to get to thousands of acres of public land. ;)

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have I told you lately I can't stand you :evilgrin:

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Xoxoxoxo. :)

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree; but a lot of the farmers I knew growing up there also rolled around on the top of their combines w/ a 30-30 dropping deer by the dozens and leaving them to rot. They bragged about it.

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my state, It don't seem too hard to find a good place to hunt. Just have to ask around. Lot's of nice folks here.