help a new guy with stand placement, map of property.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by rynb15, Jul 22, 2014.

1. rynb15

rynb15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 2nd full year of hunting. I lucked out last year and got 160acres basically to myself in central missouri. I ended up with 2 does. Had a blast every second i was out there. On the picture of the property i have marked where i placed my stand. Had a trail cam close to the stand,from aug-dec and had lots of does and 5 different bucks. Bucks never made it out when i was hunting. Mostly at night. I want to hang another stand this year. Also Im going out this weekend to hang an additional camera. I need your guys help where to put it. I have marked 2 other spots with question marks. The ? spot on the north is by 2 small ponds (hard to see)and lots of cedar trees. Lots of deer sign and a couple small scrapes on the field edges. The spot to the south on the other side of the driveway i have not really even been to. The cleared "field" looking areas of the property are crp. Very thick. Very hard to walk unless im on one of the paths that are cut. Where my current stand is located i would call the more used area of the property by the owner. No one goes to where the stand is, but there is activity in the main field behind the shop. My stand is about 350 yards from the shop. The other 2 areas i have marked on the map get very little attention. I also plan on putting in 2 food plots. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id look for sign in the bottom left of your property where it looks like there are some rolling hills and valleys. they could be using that as a funnel. Best thing to do is hang cameras in a wide arrow and then narrow it down on the spots you see the most deer.

3. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well there is a lot of water around you that's for sure. I would look for sign, hang some cameras and go from there. I find that the deer out on our farm like to stick to the edge of the woods next to the open area.

You are most certainly in the right place to get some good advice. By the end of the day you will have plenty of options from good folks on here.

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try somewhere along that wooded edge in the left of the picture, I like the point you have on the top, and might suggest having a tree picked out on both sides of that clearing so you can play the wind. Last spot I would check is that little indented clearing directly above the yellow pin in the picture.

5. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Find the closest two points of woods from each other around a field. Deer like our selves will try and find the quickest and easiest path to get from one cover to the next. Especially bucks. They try and stay out of view until dark at least so they will use this adjacent points as travel paths. Also if there are any old creek/branch beds take time to walk them it won't be hard to find where deer cros the most by paths formed in the banks. Set up with in shooting range of those. That is a great place to get to full draw on a deer for they are paying more attention to crossing the creek bed than they're surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rynb15

rynb15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all the help guys. going out today to hang a few cameras. I know one spot that holds deer. just trying to find another so i dont hunt the same spot every time out. Im still new to this, hopefully get it figured out someday. thanks