Broadheads need help picking the right one

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wilkescountycc, Jul 22, 2014.

1. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know what route to go thinking bout rage or back to muzzys what are you guys having the best luck with

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a fan of mechanicals so I'll say Hellrazors.
    In any case I'd not recommend Rages, to each their own though.

3. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have done my fair share of switching broadheads over the past years. Three years ago I started shooting Ramcats and I havnt worried about what broadhead to use since. They are considered a hybrid broadhead but they are really a fixed blade that can cut backwards if you don't get a pass threw. They shoot true and create a lot of damage on impact. The only draw back is they are not as durable as some other broad heads that I have use in the past. That being said replacement blades are available and easy to install. Its all preference at the end of the day. Hope this helps.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot something sharp... and put it where it matters... Done!

5. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen this since day one of the rage broad head in these forums. And I yet to understand what some these people mean. I use nothing but rage now and there's pleanty of reason behind it. My biggest thing is that the way you can't tell the difference between a feild tip and a rage in flight! Years ago I used to stress my self to the max about tuning arrows and what not. And I don't care what you do you will never make a fixed head fly as good as a field tip. Rage are great broad heads bud wouldn't recommend anything over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, to each their own. I hate several things about them and similar heads. For me and my setup, my hellrazors shoot right with the rages and I don't shoot field points. I hate collars and O-rings, I hate that they often deploy in the quiver and not in deer (see numerous testimonials about both), I hate the mechanics of them and hate the overly complicated design...they just aren't for me when I can use a simple one piece broadhead that will never break and works as needed, dependably in all situations.

7. cyokley40

Dislikes Received:
    Going against good arrow flight I also really enjoy the Magnus stingers. Lol yes they may fly like a kite at times but they pass through a deer like hot butter.

8. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its really hard to beat these.. They are pricey yes. other broadheads may get the job done also for cheaper yes..

This thing had been through a block target over 100 times now and will still shave hair on my body, not to mention through the block once and into a palm tree.. Fly's great, doesn't sound like a heli-coptor spinning to it's target.

I couldn't be more satisfied, personally I believe In fixed blade over mechanical's, I just cant justify trying new technology that has been known to fail when I could go with the old tried and true especially when it comes to killing that animal you have been working so hard for.

Attached Files:

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not going to make another broadhead recommendation; shoot whatever you want.
    But at the risk of knowing what this post will probably lead to; I still have to point out the underlined above is just plain incorrect. Are mechanicals more forgiving and a little easier to tune for? Sure, for most people. But I could bust nocks all day long at 50yds with several models of fixed heads. Fixed heads fly just fine, even at extreme distance, as long as you're using proper shooting form and a well-tuned rig.

10. cyokley40

Dislikes Received:
    I can bust nocks at 50 with fixed too if I shoot enough arrows at tha same spot bud. After a while and so many arrows it turns from skill to luck. Your odds get better with each arrow. But you keep bustin them nocks.

11. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot rages for a while, I just got sick of them opening if they bumped ANYTHING. I made the switch to NAP Killzones and couldnt be happier. Similar design without the foolish O-ring.

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Tricks

13. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Slick tricks for me....

Used Rage for one year.... made what looked like a perfect shot only to find out it didn't open and ricochet out the bottom of his chest after hitting a rib. It was January and the only thing I can think is that I got snow in my quiver when I laid my bow down to pull it up and it got on the broadhead and froze it shut! Never again will I deal with that headache.....

Its actually the buck in my avatar pic

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was thinking the same thing, couldnt have said it better.

And no it doesn't have anything to do with luck...like noodles stated its proper form and a properly tuned bow, if you had a bad experience with them before you should look at these two things and work on them...you can stick with luck all day, but it aint gunna get you anywhere. Shooting mechanicals to mask your poor form and poorly tuned bow is another issue within itself that will only lead to more problems in the long run.

To the OP I am shooting Solid Broadheads this year as well, 125 gr Legends. Take a look, they're worth checking out...they are straight BAD A**!!!

15. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last season, my dad and I both shot Rage Hypodermic. They fly amazingly and we went 4/4 with them, all pass throughs. That being said I find the angle of the blades to be too steep. Due to that angle, 2/4 had broken blades after the shot. They're easy and cheap to replace but if it breaks inside your exit wound won't be a big as desired

This season I am going with the Rage Xtreme 2.3" broadheads. My buddy has been using them for a few years and they cut unbelievably

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get a kick out of the guys swear off anything mechanical, saying they could never trust it. Compound bows and releases are mechanical as well.....

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    h/t to Dan:

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Evidently the truth is hurtful here.:hater: Using the no mechanical theory how could you swear off a Rage because it is mechanical and then use a drop away rest as well?

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Because I've personally had a rage blade snap off inside a deer after hitting no bone whatsoever. So have 100s of others.
    I've never had a release fail or a drop away rest fail, and if I did, I'd probably never use that brand again.

Those of us who have had a mech blade broad head fail us at the moment of truth have decided to eliminate the risk. I'm sure if a brand of compound bow experienced catastrophic failure as often as certain brands of mech broad heads that brand of bow would be out of business. How exactly is it hypocritical to advise against using something with which we personally have a bad history?

20. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with noodles...My release and my drop away have been nothing but flawless for me, rages on the other hand..not so much. Unfortunately I had to find out the hard way on my first black bear. Switched to Killzones so I'm no stranger to mechanical bh's and I loved the Killzones they worked great never had a failure and was a big fan of the no rubber bands or shock collars. It was a far superior and very well made product compared to a Rage in my eyes. But I finally have realized to eliminate the possibility of that "maybe" again with one less "mechanical" piece of equipment and with no compromise of penetration as well as kinetic energy and momentum. Hope it never happens to you, but we'll see if your singing that tune when one fails on you. To each is own at the end of the day, shoot what you want in terms of bh's, I never tell anyone to change what they like or what has worked for them...but if I have had a bad experience with something in particular, I for certain will also tell a fellow bowhunter of that experience and try to persuade them into a better direction sort of speak.