Scouting a new propert

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by avant, Jul 21, 2014.

1. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have this property to hunt and I've only been on it 1 time for about an hour to scout.
    280 acres in suburbia. As you can see there are some commercial offices to the side and a road on the front of the property. The rest of the property is lined with residential that is approximately 1/8-1/4 mile off the property line.

Where would you guys start with trying scouting this property? or any tips?
    (Red is property line, blue is a creek)
    property.JPG

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Google earth can be a huge help and is how I start looking for areas I want to narrow down,since it is such a small area you can walk it pretty fast.think about where your are going to have to park,alot of people get spooked by seeing hunters in rural areas,find out where the winds come from for your entry and exit. I would get in Theresa soon as the next cool day allows it.

3. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best way to scout that is boots on the ground. I know the creek isn't on your hunting land but if you can poke around and find any crossings and follow that back to your side, that might be a good place to start.

4. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I targeted that small field indent and found a probable bedding area tucked up in the corner just need to figure their in and out route. I'll check for cross paths to the creek though

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    How is the topography? Is it fairly flat?

6. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best part about having commercial and residential buildings around is that you can talk to the people who own them to try and gain access to park there and walk thru, allowing you to be less intrusive on the property. Get to know your neighbors!!! Things that jump out at me are the creek and the ponds. Although they are off your property they are valuable sources. Set cams up leading to them on major trails. Keep everything on the outskirts right now to keep the interior a sanctuary. Is there anything in that field on the east side? If not I would get a mineral site established on the NE corner between the two wood lines and try catching them going to the water hole. Either way it looks like there's a ton of potential there and most urban deer aren't pressured that much (that's why they get HUGE)