Meat Hunters

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by AU1989, Jul 21, 2014.

1. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Figure we can get a little debate going on here...

I understand there are meat hunters and trophy hunters. There are also those guys and gals that will take a decent buck as well as a few does.. Dose it bother y'all when a meat hunter shoots anything that's brown? Why not just shoot does and let the bucks walk unless it's a decent to great buck? Here in North Alabama there are TONS of does. That being said, I know not all areas are the same, and in most, you can't afford to be picky. In the club I am in, it's a 4 pt/1 side min. As soon as someone sees a buck, if it's a 50 inch basket rack, that sucker is down. I'm relatively new to the club so I stay kinda quiet. I know what I'm hunting and let plenty of deer walk. I would love to see these guys let the deer get 3-4 even 5 years old. Down here in my area, a pretty nice deer averages 135-145 anything bigger than that is a really great accomplishment. Can't get deer to be that big if guys are shooting them super early.

Anyways...how do you guys hunt and does it make you mad seeing these deer go early? Meat hunters... What's your take on all of this?

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all personal preference... I know many people who will shoot a buck no matter how many points it has and think of it as a great accomplishment.

I don't feel that people should look down on hunters who shoot smaller bucks, because we all know they are just diminishing their chances of taking a larger buck in the future. I am sure meat hunters will shoot whatever walks in their sights first... No matter if it is a doe or 4pt buck - If it is the 4pt that gives them the first opportunity for a shot, then so be it. They bought a license like the rest of us, and have the right to shoot whatever deer they please.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I do hate seeing so many small bucks get shot in my area every year, I do agree with mnhunterr's take on the subject.

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that people have the right to shoot whatever. Personally, I am in favor of antler point restrictions in general. Even in MN, the region in the state that has the highest # of large deer (SE corner) has a basic system in place. Something like that would help to protect the yearlings, while not crippling people who are hunting just for meat. The science behind QDM is quite solid, and results in better deer herd health, larger bucks, and a more positive overall experience for all the hunters, whether they are meat or trophy hunters. I don't understand why more states don't take their advice under consideration.

5. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It' real simple to me. Shoot what makes you happy and so will I.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If taken within legal parameters and is what the hunter desires I am 100% behind them......

.....that said I only get annoyed when hunters don't accept and own what they are. If you are strictly a meat hunter or any buck hunter DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT SEEING OR GETTING TO HARVEST ANY BIGGER BUCKS DUE TO NEIGHBORS OR YADDA YADDA YADDA.

buggs likes this.
  7. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

8. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with most everyone that has responded. Shoot what you want. I'm a meat hunter right now, maybe in a few years I will be more picky. What I hate is when a meat hunter degrades a trophy hunter or vise versa... Everyone buys a tag, let them hunt what they want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well so far I really like what I'm hearing which is why I love this forum. With that being said does run our woods here in NC like army ants. I always use all my doe tags first to fill my freezer, but I will say that I see a lot more young bucks shot here than I care to mention. But like the above posts mentioned, if it's done in a legal manner at least they are in the woods hunting.

10. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only restrictions here in Alabama is that one of your deer out of the three you're allowed must be 4 on one side. The other two can be whatever. Depending on the warden, if you shoot a nubber (button buck) then it can count as a fawn.

11. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that its safe to say that my priorities of hunting meat vs. antler ebb and flow throughout a season and have also evolved throughout my years as a deer hunter. For example, my first two bucks I ever shot were 5 pointers, my third buck was a basket 8 pointer (last season). I'd like to consider that 8 pointer as my low water mark from here on out and hold off for a bigger one, but if the freezer is empty by a certain point in the season (december/january), I may reconsider what I let walk by my stand. As long as my freezer isnt empty, I'll pass on smaller bucks without question.

12. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what others shoot. If it makes them happy and fills the freezer, good for them. Now if you were sharing a lease and going after QDM, that would be another story.

13. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although I do try to restrict what others shoot while hunting on my properties , I have no problem with what the neighbors shoot on theirs .

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Complicated subject for me personally. Yes, it bothers me as both a meat hunter and a trophy hunter to see folks shooting young deer.

Do I say anything to them, generally not...I make my beliefs and management practices known to neighbors and try to articulate to the best of my abilities what results good management practices can offer but I rarely ever disrespect anyone for what they shoot.

Exceptions are:
    1. Taking too many deer for the area
    2. Poaching
    3. Intentionally targeting young deer, especially bucks. (yes this happens)

I also hate point restrictions as a management tool. I have seen too many young deer that were easily capable of maturing into trophies that were taken because they had legal four points on one side. Likewise, I've seen numerous deer tha twere old and did not have four on either side and should have been utilized.

To each their own, I have shot young deer in the past and less than trophy caliber deer too when I was younger. My only hope is for folks to eventually grow into good management minded hunting as I have so rather than chewing posterior, I prefer to encourage personal growth. Some folks are beyond it (as I see it) (slob hunters) and are just in it for sport and the kill (give away their harvests, don't even like venison) but generally the deer population can handle those few.

15. NALBowhunter

NALBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too live in North Alabama (west side of state) and there are a few deer here, but not like it used to be since the does are so liberal to take. They should limit the number of does as they have the bucks taken (imo). My biggest beef with trophy hunters i run into is they dont even eat the meat, period. We have had some instances where deer are found shot and only the back straps and head was removed from the carcass. Crap like that is what give all hunters a bad name, whether your a "meat hunter" or "trophy hunter". IMO those folks caught doing that should be banned from hunting. Again, in my opinion!

16. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I fall under the category of if people are doing legal and happy with it I can't really judge. I think the drawing a dividing line and placing a label seems to be the biggest fight starter I've seen tied to any pictures, posts, forums, articles, or whatever. Even if the labels were clearly defined it would be different, but it seems like the terms "trophy" and "meat" hunter end up being used for blasting and arguing. Someone has a nice buck and there's 5 million blasts that "you can't eat the horns", "high fence", "ruining it for everyone", when for all anyone knows it could have been the persons first hunt maybe on public land or something and shot the first thing that came out to feed a starving family and happened to be that. I don't agree at all with the ones that shoot them, cut the rack off, and waste the rest, but my guess is most that shoot nice bucks and post them usually eat the meat or give it to people who do, although all the posts usually assume and push otherwise. My intentions when I hunt is to have fun and fill my tag, but I also want to try and wait for a deer I want, whether size or character. I'm not so set on optimum size that I'll go the year without venison either. I know if I shoot something smaller that one won't make it to monster size, but also that means I didn't take a bigger one that could have a shot at another year and more size.
    For the most part I know if it ever gets that life threatening to me for size or whatever that I turn into one of the haters I hope I realize it's time to quit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of people bring up good points here. To me the one that stuck out is the people that shoot anything that walks by, then complain about not seeing bigger deer. That one hit home for me because that's how my neighbors are. Anything that walks by gets shot at (shotgun), and to put it politely they aren't good shots and lose at least one deer every year. Then they complain how they haven't seen anything more than a 6 pointer the past couple years. I tried suggesting that we try and get a few neighbors to work together and not shoot anything under 6 and he said that might work. The ironic part of all of this is that we were having this conversation next to the 3 deer his family shot, which were 2 forkhorns and a nub buck fawn. Sooner or later I'm hoping they come around to my idea, but who knows. Whatever your reason is for hunting, we are all on the same team, and good luck all.

18. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They set regs on fish I don't see why they don't for deer. I shot my first deer last season it was a small buck. This year I am looking for an older buck. The way I look at it is we shoot does and hunt buck.

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be strictly a meat hunter, but recently I've been challenging myself to approach deer hunting differently by taking mature deer. It's made my bow hunting experience more fun, and the darndest thing is I still get meat regardless of what I shoot!

20. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I consider myself a meat hunter and I am not in favor of antler point restrictions. First off, not everyone gets to hunt 60+ days a year and can afford to pass multiple deer waiting for a "big one". Some people may only get out 4 or 5 weekends per year due to work or family obligations. What if the only deer they have a chance to shoot are forkhorns or 6 pointers? They should be allowed to take one of them and at least have venison in the freezer vs tag soup.

Secondly, the big mature deer are not the best deer for eating. If someone truly likes deer and wants the best quality meat, a smaller buck fits the bill. Of course a doe could fill the bill too but if you are limited in your hunting time, you may only get one chance at a shot and that chance may be at a smaller buck and not a doe. Many big bucks are described as being strong or having a gamey taste. If the guy is taking the venison home to a wife and kids that are reluctant to eat deer, strong and gamey will not help persude them to start eating it and win them over to become hunters themselves or at least tolerate hunting.

Lastly, new hunters are more likely to continue hunting if they have success. Forcing them to pass on small bucks could potentially be the difference in them being successful or not. And if they aren't successful because they have to pass on the only opportunity they have, they may decide to not join the hunting ranks.

I have nothing against those that pass deer and want to shoot deer with big antlers. More power to them. But at the same time, that's not everyone's goal and I feel antler point restrictions force those goals on people who may not share that goal as part of their personal hunting experience.