Cold Season Clothing

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by AU1989, Jun 28, 2014.

1. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in North Alabama. It's not Illinois and Wisconsin cold down here all season BUT it does have stretches where the weather will stay in the teens and sometimes single digits. My question is... What's the best cold season clothing.. I see the scent blocker dream season being worn a lot. Is it pretty warm??? What do a lot of you guys wear?? I'm looking for light but warm. Usually I take my more bulky layers off on my walk in and once I get up in the tree I put my stuff on.

2. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Heater Body Suit for when it gets that cold out. I wont hunt without it. Its probably the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever had! Scentblocker Alpha Pro Fleece is warm if you don't like the HBS, but its not as warm as the HBS

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heater body suite is the only way to go.

4. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    base layer, rocky thermal, then i put on my late season camo (field and stream no scent), then if it gets really cold i have a pair of field and stream bibs. the bibs will keep you warm in the harsh cold. remember to not wear cotton by your skin.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM works great, Cabelas guide wear in the berber with wind stopper works good too.

6. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    heater body suit is a bit of overkill i feel in alabama

when i was stationed there (not too long ago at all) i was fine just layering up normal.

7. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He said it gets in the teens and sometimes single digits where he is. I wear my HBS anytime its below freezing with just light clothes underneath, this way I don't sweat my arse off on the long hikes into my stands and I can sit all day without getting so much as a chill. If its hardly ever below freezing, then yes I'd recommend a good warm set of Camos.

8. Devon8762

Devon8762 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get ya some under armour ayton cold gear, and then like a 2.0 insulation under it, that way u have the camo for 'kinda cold' and the ua 2.0 underwear for pretty cold and if ya ever go out west or north get ya some 4.0 insulation for extreme cold, that way ya got everything you'll ever need

9. subielgt3429

subielgt3429 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use under armor cold gear and i love it. Very light weight and keeps me very warm through out the winter.

10. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anything with merino wool

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying Merino wool this year to as my second layer. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I will use Scent Lok Base Slayer as my base layer and Lost Camo Gridlock as my outer layer.

I am also trying Sitka Gear Whitetail Fanatic this year. Yes it is expensive, but I hear lots of good things about it.

12. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool and IWOM.

13. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard lots of good things about the Scent Blocker Alpha Fleece and also Predator camo... As long as it can keep me warm and will last several years, I think I can overlook the price.. Guess I just need to find something I like!

14. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One easy addition is find a shirt with a left chest pocket. I've seen some black wool longsleeves with a zippered pocket. Just slip a handwarmer in there (over the heart), and it will really help keep your core warm. When the core is warm, the rest of the body benefits. Otherwise I use under armour base layers (4.0 for when it gets into the negatives up here) and a jacket.

15. AU1989

AU1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a pretty good idea. It would be great if someone created a heated tree stand... Just in the bum area would benefit a lot haha.

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you guys layer your camo? Im probably going to pick up the scent lok velocity pant and jacket. I was wondering how cold of weather I could hunt in with merino wool base layers and what ever else you guys might recommend.