Keys to early season success

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Lastoneout, May 16, 2014.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can kill does all day in September, but rarely see mature bucks. My biggest issue patterning them Is I don't have any property's with ag fields so I can't say bubbles is coming out this corner at 1930.

Most of my property's and wooded or small parcels of land. Buck travel seems random aside from them coming to get some Monster Raxx. And this time of year it's usually too early for acorns.

This year will be weird for me if I am lucky I'll have 10-12 days to hunt in early September and maybe a few days to hunt dec/jan.

I could push the Envelope an get right up on bedding, but I have limited experience with that.

Let's hear your tip/tricks for the first week of the season.

Help me and others get a deer to the taxidermist while pools are still open.

I'm in new Territory as I usually bank on killing a buck October/November

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get in and scout for bedding now... Find the nearest food source they are using (doesn't have to be AG fields)... Set up between the two.

Pretty cut and dry when it comes to EARLY season tactics. Food food food.

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Long distance pre season scouting of feeding areas.

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you hunt on land like some og the hunting shows on TV older bucks do not move much during day light hours once fall starts.

Older bucks spend the vast majority of their time in their beds. To me it makes no sense to hunt any where else. The further you are away from their bedding areas the more you decrease your chances of an encounter and hero photos.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find the food and they will be bedded nearby. Get between those two points.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a observation stand a couple 100 yards away from deer activity and watch for a couple days. I will start about a week before the season starts. When I see a good buck, I will come back the next day and move in close during the hottest part of the day and set a stand then leave. I go get cleaned up and scent free as much as I can. I will come back for the evening hunt, and most times the same bucks will show up at the same time. The last 2 years I have shot a buck on opening day and this method has worked great for me. I prefer to hunt early season over the rut, I have a lot more success.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!

8. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scout the bedding in winter/spring right after season and plan your set ups.... By far, my biggest bucks came early season with a few opening day... You might just be missing the boat hunting the best time of the season sitting field edges shooting does while mature bucks are moving a predictable pattern back near bedding.