Moon Phases

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TwoBucks, Apr 16, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting the BHOD videos, and they mention moon phases a lot. I always knew this played a role in whitetail hunting, but how do you use the phases of the moon to your advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could care a less about the moon phase. If I get the chance to hunt then I'm going to hunt. I've lilies deer when the lunar table said it was horrible day to hunt. My thought is you will kill more deer if you're out hunting every chance you get.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

3. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree with full draw here. You can't shootem from the couch.

4. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killed many deer as the full moon peaked over the eastern sky.......killed many in all other phases as well. For years I compared my deer logs to what Charles Alsheimer and Wayne Laroche did on moon phase study and the rut. Regardless of the year, be in stand a few days before and after Rememberance Day

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I hunt when I can. I've never seen a deer look at a calendar or watch and decide not to eat or find water.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, hunt when you can hunt.

But I have noticed increased bird, fish and deer activity during peak lunar times so it's not something I ignore. A bad lunar time doesn't mean I won't see deer or keep me from the woods, but I'm extra excited/alert during peak times. If I had to choose between two days, and everything else was equal, I'd take the one with a better lunar time.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The two great lights Sun & Moon were set there to have dominion over the animals and creatures on the Earth (if you believe the creation story as I do in that famous book). With that in mind it is only obvious that many many studies and first hand observations back that Moon Phases play a pivotal role at times for breeding cycles, migrations and movement of various animals.

Is it the sole thing a hunter should consider when choosing to hunt, ABSOLUTELY NOT! However, I feel you are doing yourself a dis-service by ignoring it too. Documenting movement by moon phases, wind, temperatures, harvests all help you form a more clear image of how the deer "should" or "usually" travel with certain aspects or things occurring. Leading into a Dark Moon is when I get amped up as I and those I follow (purchase calendar even) have documented time and time again big mature buck movement/seeking picks up...now mix in factors like weather, wind, time of year and other things and it's all about stacking things in your favor.

In the end if I can hunt, I hunt (can't harvest anything not hunting)...but I hunt smarter due to paying attention to Moon Phases as well as a lot of other things.

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt when you can if your going to put stock in anything it should be high and low pressure fronts. I see more deer two days before a storm starts then anytime before or after. If the rut is on be in a stand period.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Moon phases are one of the pieces to the puzzle. I hunt when I can, regardless of the moon, but I feel like I see more daylight activity during the new moon and less during the full moon, unless it's the rut. If the rut is on a full moon is awesome. I have witnessed some pretty crazy stuff on a full moon during the rut.

10. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what I read somewhere else when there is a full moon it gives more light during the night, therefor, causing the deer to move more during the night and less during the day. But nevertheless, I would hunt anyway whether there is a full moon or not.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't ignore the moon phase, but I don't let it inhibit my hunting plans if the phase isn't optimal. I guess that's a better way to put it.

12. diesel305

diesel305 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    agreed!

13. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I plan to take a half day at work and hunt the other half, I consider the peak lunar times given by scoutlook .com to decide AM or PM. I think u have to register to see them but it just takes ur email address.