When to "Settle" for #2 Hit Lister?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by airenlow, Apr 14, 2014.

1. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At what point do you settle for your #2 or #3 buck? I know it's going to vary from person to person, depend on the quality of bucks and regulations in your area.

There is quite a difference between my #1 and all the other bucks on this particular property. We're allowed one buck here in Ohio and I won't be hunting anywhere else this year. Should I just go all in for The Duke?

#1 The Duke
    [​IMG]
    #2 Classic
    [​IMG]
    #3 Ragged Rack (still another year away)
    [​IMG]

2. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    do you have any better pictures?,it would be easyer to decide if you did.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would ALWAYS kill #2 if he was the first one to appear...but that is only IF there was a #2

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I made a hit list, if they're on the list they're shooters. Why have a buck on a "hit list" if you don't plan on shooting, really not a hit list then. Going into season I try to have shooters and nonshooters, once one appears I want the decision to shoot or not to shoot made up. Either game on, or sit back and enjoy the encounter.

5. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    Good point! So, really, I just have the 2 shooters. Your shooters are all viewed as equals when season starts?

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't number...I simply have a hitlist...but just like last year Kicks wasn't my "biggest" (#1 to many) but the second he walked out I trusted my gut which made me reach for my bow. I will never allow someone else to dictate or have a say in what I harvest and hold as "big enough" or "trophy" caliber. Those are personal things and should be kept as so!

7. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I'm just not sure how I would react if my #2 buck stepped out on opening day. I haven't had to make that decision yet...

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree that I don't put bucks on my list that I feel are too young or too small and wouldn't shoot. If I have a doubt about one I don't put it on the list.

I look at it as my wish list actually, bucks I would prefer sequentially but would probably not pass up if they happen in front of me. Of course that depends on making the final decision in the stand. I have passed up bucks on my wishlist due to season timing, smaller than I thought they were, younger than I thought, etc...

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot the #2 on my list on opening day if he steps out. I get 2 bow tags, so I'd still have a chance at #1. I don't really number them, but I know which bucks are going to score the highest. I got lucky this year, the only mature buck I saw all season was the biggest I had on camera.

10. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If its a hitlister I'd say first come first serve.

11. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally #3 doesn't even look like a shooter yet. #2 is just barely a shooter.

I'd shoot whichever "shooter buck" comes by first. Otherwise you risk never seeing another shooter all season.

A few years ago I shot my first mature buck. 30 minutes after the shot as I'm getting ready to get down a bigger buck comes down the same trail. Oh well.

12. josh97

josh97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot whatever you want.

13. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I'm looking for. That's the route I will probably take, but wasn't sure if the idea is crazy. In the stand on October 15, who knows what I will actually decide...

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Josh, The Duke may get some massive growth this year depending on the property. Is this one that you found door to door or did you already have this piece? Either way, are you managing the property? A mineral lick might make him jump higher up the list. We live so close, we should meet up and hunt together on the days my brother in law and other hunting buddies aren't able to hunt my property.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it's on my list, I'll shoot it for sure. If an unknown buck comes in and gets the juices flowing, he's dead too. Most of my time and energy will be chasing the #1 buck on the hitlist, but that doesn't mean I'm picky :tu:

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, just keep in mind that I walk a different path apart from most hunters, my situation isn't typical because I have both MO and KS tags and can take up to three bucks per season (2 MO, 1 KS) (last year at least) besides that I'm a big buck guy and so my priorities are different because I am not heart broken if I don't tag out. I generally accept that the nature of chasing the big boys means eating tag soup sometimes if I'm too dedicated to the top bucks. The last consideration is that I generally have a lot of hitlist bucks to choose from that are 3.5 to 7+. Last year I had a dozen and never know when a new one may walk into the territory forcing a decision on the fly.

Also for me personally, since I have a construction business and farm 700+ acres, time able to be spent effects my decisions. Last year we were wet mid archery so I had a lot of time to take my time and have fun. Too wet to doze or harvest for three weeks so I got picky and hunted a lot so I had time to pass over a lot of deer.

There are a lot of considerations for me personally, not trying to brag...just that I have unique circumstances (as most do) that effect my personal approach and decisions. Everyone has different circumstances to consider. My main consideration is age structure, beyond that I make a lot of decisions based on what strikes my fancy in the stand.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The way I look at it, never ever pass up a deer that you would regret not shooting the day after the season when that #1 doesn't show. That's my motto any way'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But also we hunt with a group that is ok with using other peoples tags on another buck if that second buck is truly huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot the Duke!

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I'd keep that on the downlow....