Mock scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TwoBucks, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What products do you guys use for making mock scrapes? I'm planning to go out soon and start working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Also, do any of you know how many mock scrapes is too many? I have heard of scrape lines, does this work with mock scrapes to make a line of them? any help is appreciate

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here concerning mock scrapes. You can also search as there are many threads on this.

After talking to a member on here, I am giving buck fever synthetics a try this year.

4. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did a couple of mocks last year and I only put two because I hunt a small piece of land. All I did was take a rake and scrape an area clean of leaves and peed on it. Also put the scrape under a licking branch that out u can also by snapping a twig of and letting it hang. Every time I went and checked trail camera I would be on the spots and by the time the rut was going on the deer had scraped and area of 3ft by 3ft. Definitely going to be doing again this year.

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we have about 200 acres to work with. I am wondering if you can do scrapes within a couple hundred yards of each other? There already is one started by my stand that i will just over mark but i want to start a few more too or even possibly a scrape line

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Ms. Doe Pee. By far the best I have ever used. Fantastic results.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been making mock scrapes for 20+ years. I have shot a few nice bucks that used them. The best results for me is making "scrape runs". Ever been walking a trail and find a scrape? Then another? Then another? It seems to me they are in bunches of 10-12 by me. So now I run 3 lines (different locations) of 9-15 scrapes in about 150-200 yard span. I always put a large primary near my stand, on a corner or with lots of view. I also make a rubbing post with licking branch. It is cool to see a nice buck use a scrape I made.

Now I use either Wildlife Research Trails End then Active Scrape or Code Blue products. I have only used the Code Blue 3 years with some good results. WR are still my go to. I tried Mrs. Doe Pees and it works. But running 3 drippers and 30 or so scrapes its expensive.

8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    This is a question that I have been trying to figure out for a long time! how to do a line of scrapes and how to space them out correctly. My ultimate goal is to help my dad shoot and see more bucks. Our stands our about 250 yards apart by the crow flies, but the area is such that we don't ever have a problem hunting the same deer. I was wondering if it would be possible to make a scrape line that roughly ran by my stand to his. Even if that means sacrifices some big bucks that would have walked by my stand so he can get a shot.

Do you use pre-existing deer trails to put your mock scrapes by so the deer are already walking by them?

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not really hunt preconditioned scrapes. What you described above is a sure fire tactic to get the deer to pattern you and your father.

Here is a link to a thread I wrote a quite a few years back about hunting scrapes on public land.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/whitetail-deer-hunting/1401-mock-scrapes.html

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Ha sorry I meant to quote whitetails post! But I like the article!

11. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    This is a question that I have been trying to figure out for a long time! how to do a line of scrapes and how to space them out correctly. My ultimate goal is to help my dad shoot and see more bucks. Our stands our about 250 yards apart by the crow flies, but the area is such that we don't ever have a problem hunting the same deer. I was wondering if it would be possible to make a scrape line that roughly ran by my stand to his. Even if that means sacrifices some big bucks that would have walked by my stand so he can get a shot.

Do you use pre-existing deer trails to put your mock scrapes by so the deer are already walking by them?

12. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I kick them out then I pee in them... It works.

13. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Works for me for years