What to do when deer are right by you & you want to get out of tree

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by carplanenut, Jan 8, 2014.

1. carplanenut

carplanenut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings folks,

I had 4 deer eating acorns within 10 yards of my tree stand this past weekend and I wanted to get out of my tree to head home. It was well after dark but I wanted to see what activity was there so I stayed after dark (5:45ish).

Question is - What actions should I have done to least spook the deer so I can get out of my tree stand & head back to my truck? What I did was cleared my throat and all (4) scampered about 50 yards away, stopped and wanted to see what made the noise up in the tree. I didn't want to spook the deer but it was inevitable.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. NickCT

NickCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a small pile of little rocks in my stand, and i will throw them away from me in the opposite direction in the brush. The noise will get the deer to run and they focus on the area in the brush the noise came from and I get down out of the tree.

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's not a target buck, you can just get down and leave.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I usually throw bark off the tree or whistle and make wildlife type noises. They don't generally spook but don't really want to stick around either. Sometimes if I'm not in a big hurry I'll play with calls and see how they react. Sometimes they high tail it out sometimes it has the opposite effect. Kind of a learning experience. I have had a time or two where I just have to spook them to leave. Nothing would get them out of there. On that same note last year I was walking in before light and had 6-9 deer standing less than 20 yards away from the bottom of my stand. They just watched me get in my stand then laid down. One small buck actually walked up to the bottom of the ladder and looked up at me before laying down 10 yards away. They laid there for 2 hours before getting up and moving on.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Throw a rock as far as possible in the opposite direction of you want to head to leave. Then blow a snort/wheeze call, seems to work for me. Sometimes, there is no avoiding spooking deer that close. I assume you are out of antlerless tags? Shooting one seems to clear out the other deer :)

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like said if its not a buck i climb down if later in the season if early season I try to try small things down or use my bow rope hoist and scratch it on the ground.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ask them nicely to leave.

8. Chucking Arrows

Chucking Arrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You always wait. A spooked deer will probably not come back to that spot especially if they see ya.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got this from my friend Bobby. I learned to hoot just like an owl and slap the side of my leg to sound like wings flapping. Works every time. Sometimes they will hang around a little, but normally they run off to cover.

10. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to wait and watch if it's to dark to shoot. I went out a few times and after I climb down and head to the truck, after not seeing 1 deer, I see 5 does no more than 5 yards from my truck. Also I have IBS, so I had left some loaf next to the truck, they didn't seem to mind that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk