Does Scentlok Work

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JamesAlbano, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JamesAlbano

JamesAlbano Newb

Dislikes Received:
    is it worth all the money? i was looking at the base layers, anyone have any experience with them? is it necessary to use them with an outerlayer?

2. misplaced hillbilly

misplaced hillbilly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO. No, not only does it not work, but it simply can not. I believe scentlok may help to an extent, but no way can it eliminate all human odor. You still got to breath don't you. Your face is still exposed, unless you are wearing a body condom and a breathing aparatus. People that swear by scentlok, IMO are either trying to sell it, or the conditions were just right, and nothing more. With or without the scentlok, clean habits are just as successful. I never ignore the wind. I always setup my stand locations for different wind scenarios. There are times with different currents to hunt ground or elevated stand. Watch smoke from a fire. If the smoke rises up, then a treestand would be better for scent control. If the smoke falls to the ground, then a groundblind would be a better choice than a treestand, unless the prevailing wind is pushing your scent corridor in a direction that there is no chance of a deer approaching. Hunt the wind, scentlok wont save you.

3. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya the clothing alone will not cover your scent up 100%, no matter what brand your wearing. You have to use all the other field care products, the shampoos, body soap, field sprays, deoderant, laundry detergent. With all that said you still have to play the wind and hunt smart. We talked about this before, I believe as long as you take the proper steps even if your not wearing scent lok or scent blocker type clothing will be good enough. Just remember to play the wind and don't over hunt your locations too much.

4. BTGuy

BTGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it does work!!!

I don't have time to argue its effectiveness. All I know is that when used properly I can escape any nose in the woods.

Period!

If Todd Pringnitz can rave about Ozonics all day long about his success, I can do the same regarding Scent-Lok.

Deer just flat out don't have a clue.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ive used scentlok or blocker suit for a long time now.its funny to see the people who dont wear and have never tried it, say that it doesnt work. ive been so close to deer on the ground that i could touch them and when in a tree stand hunting with the wrong wind (for where i hunt do to bedding ground and food) see more deer that when the wind is right. the suit is not 100% scent blocking but part of a system. spray, shower, brush teeth, chew gum, and keep your clothes in scent free bags. as far as a base layer. yes get one they can only help. moister wicking!! bring down your scent after a little walk to the stand and your a little hot.

this is what i use.
    rocky base layer all season
    rocky scent iq atomic almost all seaon
    rocky scent iq gloves
    scent blocker suit when it starts getting cold
    scent blocker socks also moister wicking
    rubber boots

6. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We proved Ozonic's works on video (you can see it on their site if you don't believe me). If that isn't good enough, the FBI just conducted tests that proved that Ozonic's will beat a drug and bomb sniffing dogs nose. First product of it's kind to do so.

The only proof that I've ever seen about Scent Lok was that a dog can track a human in a Scentlok suit without a problem. These videos are everywhere.

So, if anyone could prove Scent Lok works - well, they wouldn't be in court right now!

I say prove it if you believe so much in the product!

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at the ozonics deal it makes since, for clothes and equipment.
    But when you put a smelly hunter in it then all deals are off. scent is rolling off us like (pigpin) in charlie brown cartoons, are legs and feet work like piston pulling air in and out of are boots,and are hot breath is blowing sent everywhere.
    yes i wash everything before every hunt,shower with no scent and spray down before i go and respray during the hunt, I even spray my steps as i go up the tree!
    Also use micro thread suit under my scentloc suit and a scentloc mask for my hair and breath. and yes i think it helps,but the longer your out there your body scent will eventually get out and if a deer gets down wind and he is alert and not thinking with pe&is your going to spook him.

I will say that if a buck is under a doe spell nothing is going to spook him,so you got that going for ya. but dont spook the does at all cost and hunt a different spot on every hunt that way the deer dont pattern you.

As the wind shift"s around like when you are sitting by a fire think of where you sent is being blown as you walk and sit in your stand. food for thought.:beer:

8. bigbad_Canam

bigbad_Canam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

agreed!!! i had better luck wit blue jeans, and a camo long sleev shirt sweatin wearin scent killer spray than i did with that bs scent lok.

i aint arguin, but all it was is another product to get ppl to think that it was a super duper scent killer at a price of 300$ for a suit when u can get under armor (basically the same thing) for cheaper.

my 2 cents
    PERIOD

9. misplaced hillbilly

misplaced hillbilly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes you happy, then by all means use it. I don't, but I have punched more than one deer in the rear with a stick, from ground level, that I stalked upon., and scared the bejeebies out of them,for kicks. Didn't have the mighty scentlok suit either. I stand by my statement, if your head or face is not sealed in with some airtight mask, you are emitting even small scent molecules, no matter what gimick you are wearing. I am also a trapper, and I have observed animals, and scent control.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could never bring myself to use something like this in the woods---my goodness. What's next, use real does with mind control devices to lure bucks in to kill them?

[​IMG]

11. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scentlok...forget the wind...just hunt!!! :rolleyes: :p;)

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had it and used it. No different than keeping clean and wearing regular camo. Those that argue about deer getting close while wearing it have no argument. Most of us have also had deer just as close while scouting or turkey hunting and not wearing scentlok. Thermals and wind currents have more to do with being winded than most hunters will ever know or understand. Period.

13. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yes it does make me happy that i have a product that work. if and when i go on a stalk i dont use my scentlok. ive stalked up on animals in my work clothes. and use the wing only.diffenent tactic, different situation .but if you havnt field tested it why say it doesnt work? btw they do make masks for your face and hoods and hats for your head. just like i said before it wont take all your scent away and isnt a magic suit. but it helps out tremendously. deer are going to smell you no matter what and each deer is different. so its not if they smell you its how much is to much before they think your a threat to them and scentlok helps

14. misplaced hillbilly

misplaced hillbilly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I'm done, you just can't explain to some. As Newt Sterling says. Some deerhunters will buy anything.

15. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what you do. Go to your local grocery store and buy 2 cans of Chili Man Chili and a Twelve Pack of Old Style. Go home and drink the Twelve pack and eat the two cans of chilli instead of the usual Post Beer Feast.

Next morning wake up and go to your local sporting goods store and put on the best damn Scent Suit they have. Proceed to rip azz in the dressing room and let me know how well the activated carbon works at containing scent:evilgrin:

P.S. Make sure nobody in an adjoining dressing room:poke:

Last but not least remember that a huge portion of scent comes from your mouth so wearing Scent Clothing with AzzBreath will get you nowhere.

16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now THAT is FUNNY.

And so true. Look at how much money they had to throw into that lawsuit and still lost. If a dog can smell me in it. So can a deer.

17. misplaced hillbilly

misplaced hillbilly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    :evilgrin:

18. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What model of the Ozonics are you guys using? the O3 ?

19. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you blow or rip a hole in the azz because you were rippin' azz to test. Do you then have to buy it???

20. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i've killed a lot of big bucks wearing scent lok, its not a cure all but I believe it does minimize your odor