blind for windy location for Antelope

Discussion in 'West' started by gene so, Sep 5, 2016.

1. gene so

gene so Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

I have an opportunity to hunt Antelope on a ranch in northern New Mexico. Previously not hunted, it is both "high and dry"; above 7,000 feet and with few sources of water. Both adjoining ranches allow hunting, in essentially what is a huge "bowl". Formerly a renter had dogs, but he is now gone and the rancher plans to put a water tank on this property.
    We want to set a blind in place when the water tank is filled early in spring. We want to set up a blind at the tank very early. Many years ago I was a senior member of the P&Y club and I am an expereinced bowhunter, but used to hunt Antelope off of water towers. Now we shall have to use a blind. I know Antelope are very skittish about going to water. I know also that quite high winds blow at that high altitude. We need to set up a blind in a permanent fashion so the wind will not affect it adversely and nothing ends up flapping in the breeze long term.
    Manufactured blinds have come on the scene since I was an active bowhunter.
    What blinds do you suggest for this high, windy location?

Thank You,
    Gene

2. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Build your own. Pallets with brush tied on or a box blind. I'll even test it out for ya.