New to Washington

Discussion in 'West' started by jwebbmentor, Aug 5, 2015.

1. jwebbmentor

jwebbmentor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been awhile since I have posted on here. I moved to Washington a few months ago. My girlfriend grew up here and we have been visiting for the past ten years. We finally made the move from Florida. Heading out scouting next week for Archery Elk. Its been tough finding public land that isn't closed due to fire hazard. Not what I expected,its been super hot and dry this summer. Hope I can get on some Elk! Not sure where to go but I'm sure I will figure it out.

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there!

3. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to Washington... Bonney Lake is not far from me (Spanaway).. as for finding Elk.. Eastern Washington is best bet for finding them. Lots more Elk, and larger herds, but most areas are Spike only. Some nice Elk on the Olympic Peninsula, but hard to find with all the thick cover. Most areas are 3 point min. As for the closures... most Federal land is open, lot of state land is open. Most of the logging companies have closed but you need to buy a permit from them to hunt their land anyways ($300+) so I dont hunt there anyway. Hopefully we'll get some rain by September
    Most of this month I'm out bear hunting/scouting for deer and Elk... your welcome to tag along if ya like

4. jwebbmentor

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Man!

5. jwebbmentor

Dislikes Received:
    Might have to take you up on that. Headed up to Stampede tomorrow to give a look. My work schedule is tough right now. Have to work on weekends.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck finding a good spot!

7. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    was out towards the coast Monday and Tuesday... seen some Elk... found lots of sign of other Elk and Deer... found where the bears have been... but not where they are ;)
    planning on heading out there again next week.. 3-4 hour drive, so I normally plan for an overnight to give me more time in the woods... camping is free where I go

8. jwebbmentor

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Good luck. Found some good sign but didn't see anything. It was late morning by the time I got up to the mountains.