Backcountry Colorado Hunters?

Discussion in 'West' started by Night Hawk, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure there are hunters from Colorado on here. Got any tips and advice for backcountry hunting? Good area somewhat near COS?

Next season will be my first opportunity to try it, and Ill likely be going solo. I will be going after Mule Deer. I have a good pack, clothing, sleep system, water filter and food. I have good binos, but no spotting scope. That will have to wait.

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I have no advice on Colorado. I hunt Utah and I have hunted Idaho but just a little

3. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Carp. Ill take any backcountry advice none-the-less if you have any to give.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get in shape, shoot your bow, and control your fear.

Have a blast and I wish you all the best.

5. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by control my fear? Like worrying about bears and lions? I am interested about what precautions you guys take in avoiding bears coming in on you.

Ive read keeping your food in zip lock bags helps, and of course storing your food in a tree at least 10ft high and away from the trunk and the tree limb its on.

6. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Fear, use it. Don't let fear use you. Remember hesitation causes mistakes, so does poor planning or inadequate supplies along with a fair amount of knowledge. I would say to push the envelope but don't be an idiot and cause yourself to get in a bad way. (Understand that when I say idiot, it is for example and does not direct at you, it is a dumb move that anyone could make) Think and use both your head and your body when outdoors. As for bears .. ours are not aggressive but despite the "hero's" it is your call and your life. I pack backup and try not to smell like dinner. You need to stay warm, and merino wool is the skin, synthetics are flammable..and a good #2 base, dump the cotton. Outdoor edge makes a good set of knives, get a havalon and watch your digits. Always hydrate even if you are not thirsty, if you P, drink. Leave a note with times out, where, and eta back. Purify your water, correctly.

...sorry brother for the novel here.. 2 much coffee this am. Good luck-

7. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Navigation.. GPS or something to help keep track of position. Cell phone battery full..always to use if needed in a pinch. Some sort of antibacterial spray & tape if you draw blood. Packers on call if you score Big. Fire that is use able anytime. ChapStick. Hand warmers. Wood saw.

Alright, I'm done spinning..hope this helps some. You probably already have your bases covered..again best a luck!

8. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips spotnstalk. I have read the wonders of merino and Im getting all kitted out in first lite for that. As far as survival gear and stuff Im covered well there, I got all the goodies and know how to use them. About the only piece of gear I will prob not have is a good spotting scope. Im hoping I can get by with good binos, a scope is my next piece of gear to invest in.

Do you use a filter and steripen? Ive always used just a filter with no problems, but curious what your method is.

Any good tips for muleys? This coming season will be my first for them.

9. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Right on! First lite is great stuff. Personally getting my own act together with all these things. There is always room for growth whether it be in gear or in knowledge. No scope here either but binos will get it done to. As for h2o I pack water for the day or more excursion and am still exploring the bladder, filter, iodine, emergen c, etc. .. Tips on muleys...your asking the wrong brother here. What I would offer should be common knowledge but will say to play the wind and become a ghost.

10. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man!

11. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im with SPOTnStalk. You need some good gear. On cloths would focus on a good pair of boots and rain gear. Of course a tent and a good sleeping bag will make a better hunt also. I have have always used a filter for water. Being in shape will really be a big factor. If you can spot your area out and explore that will help you out a lot as far as animals go. I have just used common sense when it comes to bears. Keep a clean camp and your food up and you should be ok.

12. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    im gonna try out my hammock. I have a nice hennessy, and a good bag. I just need to get a under quilt so i don't get cold. You guys ever use a hammock?

I have some nice Merrels i like to wear hiking. I plan on using those. Im not big on over the ankle boots. Ive never had a problem with stability or twisted ankles. Ive done a little hiking being in the Army for 17 years now, lol!

13. DaddyWagz

DaddyWagz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a jungle hammock a few years back. It had a built in mosquito net and a custom rain fly. Seemed like a good idea but never liked it for backcountry. Even with a layer below, it's hard to stay warm because you compress the insulation you're sleeping on. You're just dangling in the cold air. And you need two trees to be just the right distance apart to hang it, which is limiting. Your body is also in a bent form which really isn't that comfortable. I do have a Eureka Solitaire, which is awesome. Not pricey at all, about 3 lbs, and totally waterproof. Has some extra room to keep your gear dry. Love mine.

14. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You might consider getting a friend to go with you. I have no experience with back country hunts but doing it alone your first time out sounds dangerous. If you get injured out there it's always best to have some help.

Good luck, I'm jealous.

15. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    DaddyWagz- Ive heard hammocks are on the chilly side. The under quilt I'm referring to isn't in the hammock compressed under you. Its a layer outside the hammock under you, so it doesn't get compressed. Ive heard that it makes a world of a difference. Ive seems to have the exact opposite experience than you. I can never find level ground for a tent it seems, easily anyway, and get a good nights sleep. Unless its a established camp area. However, there seems to be a plethora of trees around in the wilds.

Blarney- Ultimately I would like to have a body to go with, but I have no hunting buddies. Least of all ones that want to do what I want to do. I spend a good amount of time in the woods. Wherever I go I will put in the time scouting it well and know the area and have back-up plans.

16. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough, there are all sorts of experience levels out there. If you are confident in your abilities and your cautious have a blast. Like I said I am jealous.

17. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    Who knows. Maybe by then I will have a buddy to go with. I know its never really a good idea to do something like that by yourself. However if it means hunting or not hunting, Im going it alone if I have to. Im getting into HAM radio also, so I will have reach back capability if my cell don't work. Over the years in the Army I have been to a few first aid classes too, lol!

18. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chances are that 90% of the time in the back country your cell phone won't have any service, depending on where your going. Map, compass and a GPS is your best friend. Water filtration system to filter your water. Good broken in boots. Several pairs of good wool socks are a must to keep your feet in good shape. Hang your food high; keep a clean camp and you should have no bear problems. Early in the season the mulie bucks will be high, mostly above timber line. Practice shooting at long range. Try and hook up with a buddy. Good luck.

19. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from a five day D.I.Y. O.T.C. Backcountry solo hunt...Long story short, the Faithful are never alone but do be prepared and smart about things. Tag Soup but in deer everyday... blew a few stalks on some Kings..Dang!
    I would highly recommend biting the bullet on a Garmin. .. Have a Blast Brother!

20. Night Hawk

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks gents! Luckily I have a GPS, but I plan on taking map and compass too.

So the mules will likely be high? I should plan to work my way from the top down then Im guessing, based on the valley winds. My plan was to get up, glass and then work my way down to the deer when they are bedding down, then take one when the opportunity presents itself. I know rings rarely go to plan. What is your guys "general" tactic?