Slow Week Chat

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Apr 16, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting here staring outdoors. Looks so nice. Yet, I am stuck in the office all day. Been here all week alone - everyone is on vacation until next Tuesday. I can think of a million other things to do. Though, I have been able to get some research done. (And find my next bow - though I definately don't need one!)

How's everything going with all?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been a busy week this week. Each year we stop production and host a service school for users of our equipment. I teach a couple units and over see the grilling for lunches. We only grill 2 days Tuesday and Wednesday but Tuesday grilled up 50 pounds of pork chops and 50 pounds of chicken breasts. Wednesday was brats and burgers. Glad when this week is over.

3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice thing for your company to do. What kind of products do you make? Sounds like it must be a good turn out with that kind of meat being cooked!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We manufacture pumps for leachate and condensate removal and gas flares for landfills. You could say my life is garbage.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Could say that...but it seems it must be a good kind of garbage.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty good industry even when the economy is bad people still have garbage. Our pumps are also used in the fracing industry and mines. I am headed to Saipan on the 24th to inspect their facility and make recommendations for updating.

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Saipan as in the island? I could do the job if I got to travel like that! (Kidding). But this is a product that is used all over the country I'm sure. Like you said, a good industry - it'll always be around. Interesting!

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have visited landfills, and consulting firms from Ponce PR, to Fairbanks AK, California to Maine. Saipan will be the furthest west my travels have taken me. I did turn down a trip to Nigeria when they started talking extraction insurance policies, not safe for travel. I am a sales and engineering guy so I just show up and talk I don't have to actually work on the filthy sticking pumps that are under all the garbage.

9. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been a busy week up until today. Spent all afternoon yesterday in court on a matter that should have taken two minutes, really. And regarding a client I have never seen and have no idea where she is. Even her mother doesn't know where she is. Judge adjourned the matter for a week, so I have to track her down in the meantime, or he'll issue a bench warrant.

Wife has her Ph.D. orals this morning. Her committee will take her out to lunch afterwards. That will take about three hours of telling stories. (We already know she will pass, but she was nervous anyway.)

She'll come home, take her nap, and then our daughters and I will take her out for a wild celebration.

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    A sales job that allows travel like that would be nice - unless it's constantly, then I'm sure that'd be tough on the family situation. But sounds like you must be doing something right!

....and not a total d-bag ;)

kidding

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The nicest hotel is like a prison cell to me, I always look forward to driving down my driveway at home. Business travel is way over rated. This month I will eat more meals in resturaunts than at home. Typically leave Sunday back home Thursday night, in the winter it slows down but that is when trade show symposium season starts.

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    cr - congrats to your wife. It's always nerve-wracking regardless if you know you'll pass! I am the same way. Sounds like she will have a nice afternoon between family and friends.

Hopefully you can find the client. Imagine it'll be tough since even the mother doesn't know where she is. Do you guys use social media as an aid in things like that? (Such as searching FB, etc).

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Sota, unfortunately I can kind of relate there. My husband works out of town - he leaves Sunday comes home Thursday night (if not too far away). He gets so tired of non homecooked meals. I try and make freezer meals that can be heated up, but that's tough at times too. I could never do traveling for a job like you guys.

14. DeerRobbyn

DeerRobbyn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sota - your exwife should have all the credit for raising your children without you....

15. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    First post? I don't think so.

This is not going to be a bashing thread.

16. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get off it! Lots of men have jobs that require spending time away from family, truckers, seamen, military, sales reps, etc.

Every family works it out on their own.

17. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Eventually, the judge will issue a bench warrant and revoke her bond. Then I will know where she is and be able to contact her at any time. :o

Going to be a lot of celebrating for sachiko. Her fellow students are taking her out tomorrow. The guy who is going to be her student starting next fall, brought her flowers. I think he's sucking up. Not a bad idea though. She says he's pretty bright and she's looking forward to chairing his committee.

Her mother, father-in-law and his parents are having us over for dinner on Sunday.

I'm so proud of her, I can't stand it. Not only this, but giving me two beautiful daughters, all in eight years.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been married 24 years, kids are off to college. I used to be gone most of the summer when I was fighting fire full time.

19. DeerRobbyn

DeerRobbyn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    maybe you can be his next conquest = why divorced

20. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Super busy here, finally. Corn is going into the ground like crazy, lots of spraying and finally a day with no wind. Damn tough to stretch a tape 300ft with 40mph winds...