mike and mike

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by NY Bowhunter, Mar 30, 2015.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was on Mike and Mike on morning talk show this morning. They were talking about the KU vs. ND game. If you were a sports fan would you rather have your team lose like ND did, being so close to knocking off #1 and going to the Final Four. Or, get blown out.

Golic was going off saying how he can't understand how any fan could prefer to be blown out. So I emailed them saying (as a fan) I think it's harder to digest being so close to going to the Final Four and beating undefeated Kenutcky than if it was a blow out. A blowout you just tip your hat and say they were the better team. Being that close stings more knowing you were a play or two away from winning and advancing. That is harder to swallow IMO.

So I'm sitting there doing some work on my computer and hear my name lol. They read my email and talked about it for awhile. Golic blasted me telling me it's a defeated attitude. Greeny saw my point of view and agreed with me. It was pretty cool.

Makes for an interesting topic though. If it's going to be assumed you lost, how as a fan would you want it to happen? I don't think it's a defeated attitude. Either way you're going to lose (for discussion sake). Doesn't mean you're not going to play your guts our either way as a player. Doesn't mean you're not going to support your team any less either way. I just think it stings more on the bad end of a close game.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As a fan I'd rather my team lose giving it their all and just coming up a little short, playing their best game. As a player, that would always be tougher to swallow than getting beaten soundly by your opponent because there would be no question in your mind as to whether or not the better team won.

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather see my team lose a competitive game, than a blow out.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can say one thing. I know for sure the Packers loss to Seattle hurt worse the way it happened than if they got blown out. By far.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Id rather win.

6. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Both scenarios they are giving it their all and their best game.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Making it to the elite 8 and getting blown out would most likely not involve a team playing their best game. I think we've seen it plenty of times where teams don't play their best under the spotlight. That's my point. It would take ND's best game to beat Kentucky, and if they didn't play their best, they would have lost by 25.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather my team lose in a close competitive game than to get blown out. I've tweeted to Mike and Mike a few times and never made it on, good for you for getting through, I guess I will have to start Emailing them.

9. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So what about when ND played in the NC game against Bama in football? They gave it their best game, but just got destroyed because they were over matched. How they played all year didn't change, just different talent level. For some reason that was easier for me to take. It was over at the coin toss and I had an..... oh well ... good year attitude Bama is way better. Wasnt' as tough to swallow.

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well living in a WVU household, I can see how getting blown out certainly lets you put it behind you as fast as you can. Its hard to rationalize "if we had only made 20 more baskets"....meanwhile the ND guys, especially the one who missed the final shot, won't be able to sleep until next season.....

11. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the way I see it is yes, it's easier to take if you get blown out. But, even though it's going to be harder to take - i'd much rather see my team lose a nailbiter at the end of the game than get blown out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to agree... A blow out is embarrassing, but it doesn't tug at your heartstrings for the entire next year at how close you were compared to losing by a missed FT for example.

Either way winning is better, which is why I'm blessed to be born a UK fan. :lol:

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As a ND fan I just pretend that game didn't happen haha.

As far as the question, as a fan I'd rather take a close game. As a player I'd take a blowout. I played most sports all my younger years and hated losing not matter what but especially the close ones. Always ate at me that if one or two things changed it would made a difference. If we got blown out it was more of a yep got our *** kicked on that one.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.