Remodel project

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For the past 5 weeks I've been working on a master bedroom / bathroom remodel project.

All I really did in the bedroom was replace the dark, abused laminate flooring with 16 x 16 porcelain tile, repaint and install new baseboard.

The bathroom was a different story and the majority of the time was spent in there. It got tiled with the same porcelain tile. I removed the old 8' vanity that was basically 3 light colored oak cabinet sections with an 8' cultured marble top on them. I built a 5' wall and a column to separate the toilet/tub area from the vanity area, I built a 14 1/2" deep towel closet. The column and close have rounded corners. It was my first attempt at drywall finishing.

I built the two vanities, tiled them with marble tile and installed Vigo vessel sinks with waterfall faucets. I built a bench to put between the vanities and upholstered it with leather I saved from our old livingroom furniture. It has storage under the seat.

I replaced the shower door and all fixtures with new oil rubbed bronze versions. The only fixture I didn't replace was the tub faucet. I removed the hardware, sanded it down and used a high quality bronze spray paint to make it blend in. All we use that stupid whirlpool tub for is a laundry bin anyway. :)

We were going to put a door on the closet, but after I decided to round the corners I thought shelves painted to match the vanities would look good without a door.

Also, tiling the tub was an afterthought. I thought I was finished, but the tub with it's cultured marble front and backsplash looked terrible, so I took what 16 x 16 tile I had left and cut it into 3.3" x 9" bricks and tiled the front and backsplash. Of course I had to tear the front out and build a "wall" to tile onto.

Anyway, it's been a blast but I'm glad it's over with.

2.jpg
    DSCF6099.jpg
    DSCF6104.jpg DSCF6107.jpg IMG_2322.jpg IMG_2323.jpg

2. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2325.jpg IMG_2326.jpg IMG_2251.jpg
    Oh, I also had to move the A/C vent because the column need to go where it was and I also had to install another light because the partial wall/column made the tub/toilet area too dark.

IMG_2327.jpg

3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    And one last pic..... my garage at the height of the project. (It was freezing outside.) :)

If you look close you can see my gambrel hanging from the ceiling just above the raincoats. :lol:
    37.jpg

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! I love these threads. The rounded corners on the column is a nice added touch.

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I had no idea what I was getting into with that. It turned out to be easier than I thought.

I did make one huge mistake in the process though. The dust had clogged my shop vac filter so I took it outside, cleaned the filter, dumped it, put it back together and went back in to vacuum up the dust. I started vacuuming and the cloud of dust became intense.

I had forgotten to put the filter back in the shop vac. I was taking something that was localized and evenly distributing it everywhere,... kind of like what Obama would like to do with the country's wealth. :)

My wife wasn't happy with me at the time, though. :sad:

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that is Awesome! Nice work!

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great! Nice job

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I just realized I forgot to include a pic of the closet. In my opinion, it's one of the best looking features of the project. The only pic I have is one before I installed the shoe molding.

DSCF6094.jpg

One other thing I left off is I still have to install a recessed medicine cabinet between the mirrors. It's not going to be a mirror cabinet, though. I'm having my wife order a canvas painting. That will be mounted as the cover for the medicine cabinet. I think it's a pretty good idea, but my wife has to pick the artwork. I'm still colorblind. :)

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fancy Schmancy! Looks great :tu:

10. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: