MLS coming to Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Big announcement yesterday MLS soccer is coming to Minnesota. Now the hipsters will have a sport they can watch. They will have the stadium to themselves, nobody over 30 is going to go watch.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is a poll at KSTP a local TV station website 67% responded that they do not like soccer and have no intention of going to a game.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You do realize that soccer is the biggest sport in the world right?

There must be a large interest in it if they brought a MLS team here - Just curious, what makes you think that soccer is a "hipster" sport?

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's pretty obvious by now that football is losing interest and soccer is gaining.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who cares about the rest of the world when it comes to sports. Why do I consider soccer a hipster sport? I guess it is an age thing, the younger generation of men that enjoy watching soccer and wearing women's jeans. As far as acceptance of soccer in Minnesota hard to argue with a public opinion poll.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will agree with you if soccer in the US ever gets a billion $ TV contract, till then it is just people trying to will soccer into being a major sport in the US. The WNBA will be more popular than soccer.

7. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You realize MN is a "hipster" state? When is the last time we went red in a presidential election? Just because you don't like soccer doesn't mean everyone won't like it. All that poll says is 67 % of the people they asked thought that way. Were you asked? I wasn't. Heck they could have asked 3 people at the office for all we know.

It's fine to have your opinion but it sounds like you don't have merit to your argument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If the Twin Cities were to be removed from the demographic Minnesota would be a conservative state. Youngsters like soccer good for them, doesn't mean that most people want to watch it.

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You lost me as soon as I saw huffington post.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a soccer fan but I heard on the news this morning that back in the 70's pro soccer was very popular here in Minnesota. 30,000 would pile into Met stadium and watch.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People that don't like watching football, don't understand anything about the game. Same goes for soccer. It makes no sense until you understand the rules and strategy. I had zero interest in soccer until my son's played at the high school level. I learned the game because I had to, to get enjoyment out of it. They are some of the fittest athletes in the world. I'm a 47 year old conservative and would go to a game. My guess is that over 50% of the gate will go to people over 30 years old. It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand. Last I checked I didn't own any women's jeans. :beer:

14. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would pay good money to see a Soccer game outside in the winter up North LOL!!!!!

15. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like soccer and will not go and I'm 24.

16. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    "With an average attendance of over 18,000 per game, MLS has the third highest average attendance of any sports league in the U.S"

Man... There must be A LOT of hipster youngsters attending these games!

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like it or not, soccer is gaining in popularity. Youth programs are showing up everywhere and it's much cheaper for schools compared to football. As soon as the current youth get to the high school/professional level, soccer will be in the top two or three sports in this country.

Good for Minnesota. The quality play isn't that great compared to other countries but it'll be here soon enough.

18. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding! If you removed Denver Colorado would be red, if you removed Chicago Illinois would be red, if you removed Seattle Washington would be red. You can't just take out millions of people to make your argument valid.
    All your doing is making your argument make less sense. If you removed the twin cities no one would go to baseball and football games either.

19. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I found this interesting - From 2009, which I assume this number has continued to grow.

"With over 13 million Americans playing soccer in the United States, soccer is the third most played team sport in the U.S., behind only basketball and baseball/softball."

20. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I played soccer, in college and after college. Hipster is a little over the top, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Minnesota Thunder has been a successful A League team for several years. I remember fans coming to games when we would play there. Soccer is a sport that is growing and will continue to grow. Will it ever be as popular as Baseball and Football in the states? I think so, but now while I am alive. Geographically it makes sense to put a team in Minnesota. You are going to have fans from WI,ND,IA and Canadians. Some of the best youth teams in the country come out of the midwest which is why a team needs to go to MN. Your adding a team that will play with Denver, Kansas City, Chicago and Columbus. To me this makes perfect sense.