Formaldehyde in Lumber Liquidator flooring

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by englum_06, Mar 5, 2015.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how many of you have seen the coverage on the Lumber Liquidators situation. Basically, from what I understand, is that much of their Chinese made laminate flooring manufactured by "Dream Home" contains formaldehyde levels that are 20x the legal limit- to the point where it can cause some major health concerns. The product knowingly contained levels that were too high and it was intentionally mislabeled and sold illegally.

Last fall, in preparation of having our first child, I decided to lay 500+ SF of "Dream Home" laminate throughout our house in order to create a cleaner environment for our little one. Now I'm obviously kicking myself. Ever since he has been born he has battle a stuffy head/nose with lots of congestion and sinus issues. I'm hoping and assuming it is just the weather and bugs going around, but who knows?

I just don't know what to do now. There's not much information out there as far as removal, replacement, or compensation.

Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think before I went all crazy ripping up the floors I'd find out if there was some way to test what you got. Idk if you can talk to the city you live in to see if they know anybody. Only reason suggest that is I do some building demolition for work and the sites are always inspected before we start. Not real sure what all they can test for though.

Not that it's crazy to be concerned but that'd be my first step. After that I'd definitely be contacting the company directly and finding out who needs to be talked to to resolve anything. Bad thing is there will probably be thousands of people in your same situation so it may be a slow process.

Or if you able to just replace it, I know around here alot of the stores have decent sales going on this time of year since contractors are stocking up prepping for the start of the new work season once the weather breaks.

Just realized added some to wrong paragraph last night so hopefully it makes more sense now ha.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it is a way for them to cut cost, sadly some companies will do things like this.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How much of your house is covered by that kind of flooring? I personally would rip it out for safety reasons.... especially if a child will be coming into the picture.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to check to see how the chemicals are released from the product. What I'm trying to say is the chemical may be bonded inside the material and only released during the install thru the process of cutting it. Was it cut outside or did the installer cut onsite? What JRk said above, I would look into trying to get some kind of test of air born levels inside the home first to see if there even is a problem. Then go from there.

6. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    It covers about 500 SF, all of the living area and hallways. I installed it myself and cut some inside as well as some outside, and of course never wore a mask at all. That's the least of my concerns.

Finding someone locally to do a test for me is going to be my next step, just not sure who to contact.

[​IMG]

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Floor looks good if that helps any...
    I'd test it first before I did anything.

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How long prior to your child did you install the flooring? Formaldehyde is in a lot of household products, many of them naturally, since you're worried I'd have the air quality checked but IMO its like the big scare with arsenic in pressure treaded lumber years ago. The gasses emitted from the product will reduce over time. Good luck.

9. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might cause more problems ripping it out than just leaving it be, kind of like asbestos.

Just a thought.

V

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Geez thats one beautiful floor...if that means anything at this point.

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get it tested asap. What did the deer score?

12. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I installed Bruce engineered wood in my home last winter. I didn't realize it contained formaldehyde until I got home with a pallet full of it. AND I still installed it anyway knowing it had it and I had a one year old at the time. Just figured it was the nature of the beast. Now I'm kinda kicking myself. I'd hate to tear my floor up because it was a TON of work (prep work on the concrete mostly) but I don't want to risk my family's safety. Anyway, I've been thinking about having mine tested as well. Check out this link.

Formaldehyde Test Kit - Free Shipping $94. Little pricey but piece of mind is priceless. My only worry would be how accurate the test is.

20140302_111558.jpg

13. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

14. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Grossed 182 5/8 green when I scored him the day after the kill, and he officially scored 180 0/8 at the IL deer classic that year.

15. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you mention the test, I actually just bought the test yesterday, waiting for delivery. I found some cheaper options online in the $40-50 range, just thought I'd go with the better one.