Anyone have a beater car?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious if anyone has a beater car they use to keep mileage off their higher end vehicles?

Just picked up a newer vehicle for my wife on Tuesday. Her old ride is an 07' Subaru Impreza with about 120k miles on it. It runs great and has been a very reliable car and we have also done all the maintenance to it. The trade offer for it was ridiculously low from the dealership, so I decided to just sell myself privately.

Now I'm thinking about just keeping it and using it to keep the miles off my truck. I've got about a 25 mile commute to work each day and even if I used it just for that I'd save roughly $80 a month in gas. Plus I can probably knock about 12k miles of use per year off my truck.

Anyone else have a sweet beater car they want to share?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Um....my primary vehicle is an 05' Ford F150....before that a 98 Dodge Dakota.....neither were beaters in my mind but hey different strokes for different folks. I did however while owning the Dodge have a old 94 Ford Taurus I never sold and drove for better mileage as it ran great still.

I often times picture myself getting a car or mileage good vehicle with my next purchase and keeping my Ford till it dies/rusts apart for hauling deer and such (not a 4x4 so no off-roading here).

I'd definitely keep it though...lower the insurance and up your out of pocket deductible so insurance is cheaper and ride it till it dies.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a beater but I ride my Ninja 636 most of the summer to save money. I was given a 79 cutlass that was going to be my beater car but the frame ended up being rotted and not worth my time, I did find a vintage joint in the ashtray though!
    1917611_1394849476112_228734_n.jpg

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I gave mine to my son a 2002 Saturn that car will not die, it is parked because he is at school but it starts and runs and goes and still is safe not rusted in half.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My beater car is the car I drive everyday because I'm too cheap to buy what I really want and need. 2004 Honda Accord with 204,000 miles that we puchased new. Been a damn good car.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had an old beater 95 Ford F-150 long bed that I bought when I started building my house. I gave 1200 for it, but the tranny was out. Found one on craigslist and had a guy put it in for a total of about 700. I used it for 3 or 4 years and ended up selling it for 2300.

Got a lot of use out of that truck.

7. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a 2007 Saturn Vue we drive to keep the Miles off my Tundra and my wife Maxima.

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a 2011 Chevy Malibu 2 years ago that had 11,000 miles on it... My girlfriend was driving a 2003 Buick Century with 170,000 on it. I have a 70 mile commute one way so I started driving her Buick instead of my Malibu.

The Buick now has 236,000 miles on it and is running pretty good. Tranny is starting to slip, so I'm planning on getting another beater here shortly.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    01 GMC Jimmy 230k+ still runs like a top....

10. powerstro284

powerstro284 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got a 2004 Malibu I have an 80 mile commute one way it gets good Milage and keeps the miles off our trucks

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Of course. Especially if that subaru is paid off, I would definitely keep it and use it as a commuter.

12. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband works away from home and puts roughly 30,000+ miles on a vehicle a year. His main vehicle was a 2012 Silverado. He has since taken mine as the "beater" a Jeep Patriot. Much better on gas, and a cheaply priced to replace vehicle.

13. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that makes sense. Unless it needs tires, brakes, etc. That can add up quick.

Like some of the others here. My beater is my main car. 2005 Subie Legacy 225K. It's finally starting to show it's age but, hoping to get a little more out of it. Next car will be another Sub. First one I ran to 180K then it fell apart.

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure do....it's my daily driver! LOL

I have a 2004 Chev Trailblazer 135k miles on it. I only put on 8-9k miles per year. I hate car payments and this one runs as good as it did 7 years ago.

I like your idea of keeping the Subaru. If nothing else you have an extra vehicle if one of the others have any issues which need repair, etc.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, 120k on an 07 Subaru is not a beater.

My truck (2005) has almost 150k and I drive 40+ miles a day and have since 2007.

Should be some savings realized with the mileage difference. As long as it offsets the extra insurance cost of carrying the extra vehicle, it definitely makes sense.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

16. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    nope just three paid for cars...

99 ford ranger 310k rebuilt top end runs like a sewing machine....

99 toyota celica GT converible 160k... wifes daily driver

89 honda civic wagon162k has a built 93 integra GSR motor and 5spd w/lsd this little pocket rocket will fly..

no car payments for me...

when we travel out of state we usually rent a big sedan ...

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    '98 grand prix that I use to get to work, farm and do all my scouting in. 176,XXX miles. Been a good car. Luckily I only work and farm a mile from my house.

18. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daily driver is a '12 focus. I consider this my "beater" (though I take care of it). I have a 104 mile round trip though so it's rather necessary.
    I love my truck the most though. It's a 2000 F150 that's kinda rusty, needs a rear end and has 215k miles. I kind of consider that my "weekend" vehicle though I treat it like a beater most of the time.

19. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BJE80, I don't consider that a beater car....... I just sold my daughters car to the Ex SIL, when my daughter died in January. The Honda like yours had 165000 miles and was just getting broken in, those things wont die.

20. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yep 1994 nissan altima with 144k miles on it. no car payments equals more hunting trips