Air Rifle

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by greatwhitehunter3, Feb 16, 2015.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who's got one?

Looking at the possibility of buying one for varmints and so on at our farm. .22 works great but I would like something with almost as much power but not so loud if possible. I know a lot of them claim to be quiet but I don't know if they really are.

I shot a Gamo Whisper (not sure which model) last summer and it seemed pretty nice. Wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be.

What brand and model should I look at? Caliber? CO2, spring?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a 22 caliber Benjamin marauder. I like it a lot and for groundhogs and rabbits it's perfect. Overkill for squirrels and chipmunks. It's not too bad I've got around 800 in the whole set up and that's a lot better than most PCPs. They're a lot easier to shoot compared to springs. And they're quieter. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash and its for occasional use then I say get a spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the Whisper Silent Cat. Seems to be an okay option?

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy .22 CCI CBs or .22 CCI quiet ammo. I don't think there is such a thing as a powerful *and* quiet air rifle. ;)

We only have spring air rifles. They're a pain for me to operate, not all that quiet and you can't accurately shoot them from a rest (like the window frame. heh) without being really careful.

5. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Gamo something or other, don't remember which model. I bought it for the same reasons, wanted something quieter than my 10/22 or 22mag. However I think I used it twice before putting it away and using the rim fires again. Just didn't care for it I guess.

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah springers are pretty hard to shoot accurately. Here is an article I use when shooting one. http://www.airgundepot.com/how-to-get-a-springer-to-shoot-straight-article.html https://vimeo.com/119766869 this was shooting at 80 yards. Actually was the same day I got bit by the rattle snake as I was walking from my gun to the target. It also helps to shoot off a sandbag.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a .22 cal Benji, love the thing

8. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Another reason I was looking at something other than .22 is so I don't have to worry about shooting through tin siding or roofs of buildings. Maybe that's not possible with any air rifle.

In a perfect world, I want something that I can shoot pigeons off a grain bin (not through it) quietly and from 50 yards. Keep dreaming right!?

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Gamo Whisper. If you use lead pellets its considerably quieter vs the ones Gamo sells.

Mine is plenty accurate. I can hit a quarter about every time at 20 yards. I killed over 100 squirrels out if my garden with it one year and the neighbors never knew any better.

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know which model or just regular whisper?

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the bone collector bull whisper in .117. 1300 FPS.

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only one I would put over it but is a bit pricey is the whisker fusion pro shoots 1400 fps.

13. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Look for a 17 caliber than. Go with alloy pellets but it still may penetrate. This was what I was shooting in that video. Tin water bottle with lead hollow points. Clean through at 80 yards. Don't know how thick the grain bin is though.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    ^ Nice shoes! :lol:

15. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im no pro but have been involved in airguns for quite some time. Here are some tips.

First Id suggest you to spot by gatewaytoairguns.org and tell that Airgunner.Jay sent you.

You need to have a budget. I own a benjamin marauder in .22 cal. But unless you buy a refurb it will run you up to $1000. I spent around $650.
    Another cheap option but great pcp is the Discovery in .22 cal. I also owned one of these also. I only spent for the total package around $400 bucks. Check out Norm at Discosrus.

Here is the thing with Gamo....no customer support. If that gun breaks or something happens to dont expect to call them and get parts from them. I know this from experience. What they say over at GTA is..."friends dont let friends buy gamo's"

Crosman is very good choice...they do manufacture majority of benjamin guns. With PCP's you dont have to learn some fancy hold such as the artillery hold. With spring air rifles you will (anything < 13fpe) you will need to learn that hold. That being said the Benjamin Trail NP is a good 18fpe gun. Ive owned two and could constantly shoot 1/4-1/2" groups at 50 yards. Another Suggestion is there new gun with the nitro piston II technology. Its shooting around 24 fpe and is a good gun.

There are plenty of choices out there. Like I first said create a budget.

P.S. if your hunting varmints larger than racoons I wouldnt suggest a .22 cal but a .25 cal. .22 cal is just to soft of a pellet.

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Gamo. For something as simple as an air rifle, it's so much fun for plinking and taking turns trying to make tough shots. It quickly became a tradition to shoot cans and what not before getting a fire going in the firepit at my cabin.

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

We used to do stuff like that all the time with .22s. With the whole ammo deal, that's why I'm leaning towards getting an air rifle besides the pest control aspect.

18. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That gun is advertised to shoot that...doesnt even get close....and too you all the gamo big cat 1400 has the same power plant in all of the other guns that advertise 1400 fps. The big cat only got 16-18fpe in .177 cal. In .22 cal it'll get 17-19fpe.

19. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .357 140 grain bullet at 800 fps

[​IMG]

20. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah saw that. Would be fun but impractical unless you state allowed airgun hunting for game other than small game.