School me on Mountain Bikes

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about buying a bike. I read the fat tire bike thread, and I know we have a few that seem to know waaay more than me. I'm hoping someone can help me learn a bit.

I'm primarily looking for something that I can use to get access to public hunting property. I may tow my little man with it as well once in a while. At best, it's something that will get used a couple times a month and it's not something I'd be getting as a hobby, really just transportation to get me into spots that others can't get to.

I can't justify a top end bike. With that said, school me. What's the difference between a $100 Walmart bike, a $400-$500 bike, and something that is say $1k. Would it make sense for me to get a 29er or a regular bike?

For the record, I'd be riding on relatively flat ground. I may also be rigging up a game cart to tow behind it. I wouldn't consider any of the terrain I anticipate covering to be extreme.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a trek 3500 with disc brakes. Really like it and can't complain. It's one everything I need and more. Perfectly for riding all over trails. Use it when scouting public land for turkeys a lot. Covers ground much better than on foot. Never pulled anything with it so not sure how that would work. Paid a little more than 500 including tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My current bike is a Trek 4100. I got it for around $350. It's been a good bike, I'd just like more floatation for winter and in the woods.

You can't really go wrong with a Trek of Specialized in your price range.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Better frame material, better components (brakes, sprockets, derailleur, wheels, head stem, suspension, etc.). Steel frames are great for hard hits and general hucking, but for trail riding and general usage, lighter is overall better (that's why a lot of XC guys race big $$ Carbon Fiber bikes).

With that being said, to get yourself in the woods, you don't need elaborate disc brake setups or long travel setups. You would be best served with a good aluminum hardtail. Specialized and Trek will be good places to start with pretty easy to find dealer support.

I'm currently riding a Canondale F1000 (old, but still VERY light) and am very happy with that as well, but it's a standard 26.

29er is worth looking at, especially for your use. Bit more efficient.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 29er is the way to go if your a taller, if your short legged you might feel a lot more comfortable on a 26" tire. There is also a size in between, 650b ( 27.5" Tire) which is gaining popularity. Go to a real bike shop, the bike are night and day compared to Walmart or sporting goods stores. If you read the owners manual on the Walmart Mountain bikes, some of them recommend not riding them offroad. From what you described, you should take a look at a Hardtail bike with a shock fork with 4-5" travel up front. You can get a great bike with disc brakes, aluminum frame, larger tire for better flotation, for a relatively cheap. Look at Trek, Giant, Specialized, Gary fisher, but most brands out there are great.

6. Cogburn Outdoors

Cogburn Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rick,
    I thought I would chime in as Cogburn is a bike company that specifically manufactures bikes as well as supporting accessories for the hunter and angler. You've received some great advice here. While our CB4 bike may or may not be the right fit for you, we do make accessories that will allow you to use whatever bike you ultimately decide to purchase as a better more effective tool. Our Gear Carrier for example will mount up to the rear rack of your bike and allow you to easily and safely carry your bow. We are also more than happy to help you hone your set up before the season starts so please feel free to hit us up with any questions you might have.

7. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like most have already said, the difference is in the frame and components. I would agree that you don't have to break the bank to get into mountain biking but depending upon what you ultimately decide to do I would consider my choices. If you begin to ride more than just access to hunting then you might consider spending a bit more to get the quality that you will need for heavier use. There are a lot of choices and marketing hype out there and I would suggest as others have to go to a bike shop and let them fit you to a specific bike as there is a huge difference in a properly fitted bike and one that is not, everyone is a bit different. That being said I used to ride a Full Suspension bike but last year went with a hard tail as it was much lighter than my 14 year old FS bike. I went with the 27.5 inch version.

8. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I knew a little about mountain bikes until I worked with a pro.