Vacation advice.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 10, 2015.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I are planning our summer vacation and contemplating something a bit different than in the past. We've spent the last 5 years since we married just traveling to different Caribbean destinations. We both have a had a blast seeing all of the different places, and we have quite a few yet on the list (primarily the far Southern Caribbean).

We were looking to visit Arbua, Barbados and possibly St. Maarten (depends if we do a destination or cruise). Then we started thinking how there's a lot of the U.S. we haven't seen yet, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to stay state side for a change. The only problem is we're a bit limited on time (max she can get consecutively is 9 days). I would love to take a month and just drive out west, but she just doesn't have the time built up.

The question is. If you had 9 days to visit within the U.S., where would you go? We both REALLY want to go out west again, but we also wouldn't mind visiting Coastal SC, NC (Nashville and the Smoky Mountains), and maybe even the Keys. A lot of options, but unsure of what can best make use of the time we have.

Budget isn't a HUGE concern, but of course, the cheaper the better :D

My wife enjoys the outdoors as much as she just the ocean. We're not big party people so nightlife isn't a huge factor in deciding where we go.

She will not sleep in a tent, however :D

So, I'm open to advice.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe because I'm from the area... but no way in heck I would choose Nashville over the Caribbean. Nashville would be a cool weekend trip, same with the smokey mountain area. Not an extended week.

I'd do a trip out west, starting with a flight into say Kalispell, MT.. Hit up Glacier NP (my favorite in the entire lower 48). Then head south through Teetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain NP, Estes Park, etc until you run out of days and fly out from nearest city from there. Coastal Northern Cali/Oregon/Washington would be my next choice though as its the only western area I haven't spent time in.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it was me I'd go to Yellowstone.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the best vacations we ever took was split out west and east coast beaches. Flew into Denver, visited RMNP, up to SD to see Mt Rushmore, Sitting Bull, Devils tower and a few other sites while attending a wedding. Flew back out to the coast to wrap the trip up vegging at the beach. We took 2 weeks, but a doable mix in about 8 days if you pick the right sights, durations. Only thing I would've done different is heading to Yellowstone for a couple days.

~Bill

PS, if you go to Mt Rushmore, going for the evening presentation where they cover one president in depth and light up the faces is awesome!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the smokies...so it's hard to say I'd recomend that. (Unless you want to rent my house lol)

I agree with Trevor on Nashville being a weekend destination.

Keys are on my list, I have done the eastern Caribbean Cruise and that was a blast.

A couple I want to do is: New England and the North West.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, just saw the tent thing :busted:

Looks like a week at Northernair then :evilgrin:

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gunflint lodge offered the best of both worlds, until the whole east zone of the Superior burned.

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coastal Maine

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ good choice.

Make sure you hit Acadia National Park ... Some nice places to stay in Bar Harbor too...

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a week long stay in a cabin on the lake in northern MN would be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    San Diego

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Snorkling the kelp is amazing.

14. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wife and I are planning a trip to Cuba now that the ban is going to be lifted. Also Yellowstone is on are to do list as is Hawaii

15. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since you are in PA, I would venture West and then North. Someone above mentioned boundary water. A fantastic place, and ideal for any outdoorsy person. I live in Michigan and the Upper Peninsula is fantastic. I would load up the ol' family wagon, head North through Michigan. Hit Mackinaw Island, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Copper Harbor, and then hit the Boundary Water of Minnesota. On the way back you can hit the Wisconsin Dells and then B line it back home. I did this trip this last summer and it was an absolute blast with some beautiful "north country" as we like to call it.

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    9 days total or does that include travel time?

I've always wanted to fly into San Francisco, rent a car, and drive up the Pacific coast to Seattle, hitting all the small towns along the way. You might could do this in 9 days if you stopped in Portland.

17. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A person could spend 9 days in the Black Hills of South Dakota and not see everything that is interesting.

Fly into Rapid City, pick up a car and start at one end of the Hills and wind your way to the other end, but when you reach the northern end, jet over to Devils Tower in Wyoming. Try to go early in the year (May or June) because the closer you get to the end of July, beginning of August the more Rally's and events take place. Book your hotel rooms before you leave.

It is also plausible to use Rapid City as your base and venture out each day from there.

Oly

18. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This region will likely be my next non hunting vacation. Then the coastal Maine area like mentioned above.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't enjoy the beach much at all. It was fun in college to meet up with half naked chicks running around, but I tire of the beach itself after 2-3 days max. Could be the reason I've seen all but a few states and never left the country outside of a weekend trip to Calgary Canada.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the beach either. No interest at all. Would rather go to interesting places and site see than sit and look at water.

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are heading to Rapid City in June for my daughter's gymnastics competition and are driving from Illinois. I am excited to see some stuff in this area.