Do you get sentimental about any/all of your hunting equipment?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BB4tw, Feb 10, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do. Some due to legacy in the case of the shotgun that once belonged to my grandfather.

Other times it's for the memories like in the case of my first, old school, cheaply purchased off ebay, compound bow that I got my first deer with.

How about you all? Do you keep old and out dated equipment around for its sentimental value or do you update and move on without thinking twice?

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sentimental....AT ALL. Especially about things. It drives my wife nuts because I just don't care about keeping thing for the sake of sentiment.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Out with the old in with the new.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad bought me a Browning BLR 308 when I was 12 years old. That gun has some sentimental value although I have since upgraded. Everything else I have is nothing more than a hunting tool to me.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do get like that with the guns my dad gave to me before he passed... Especially the lever action 30/30 I got my first deer with.

I'm still on my first bow... I am shooting a 2006 Bear Instinct my dad got me from a pawn shop years and year ago - I will probably never get rid of it.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do have a knife I have had for 30 years or so, that's about it.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, NOBODY touches my bow!! That's one thing I'm real funny about. I tend to be sentimental about other things as well, just not with that degree of seriousness.

8. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Old and out dated goes out the door.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. .....

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably one of my better examples of items with sentimental value would be the collection of antlers that I've kept from EVERY buck I've ever killed. My first being from 1975. I can look at every single one and remember that hunt in detail. It's pretty neat.
    I don't think young folks get too sentimental because they haven't been around long enough. lol

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, with my bows. I have a 1980's Bear "Black Bear" that my dad gave me as my first compound/hunting bow back in the late 80's. I hunted with it for my first few years, never killing a deer with it. Still on my bucket list, to kill a deer with that bow. Maybe this year? Also my dad gave me his bow from the 80's and 90's a PSE "Vector". He's killed alot of deer with it, as have I! I only retired it 4 years ago due to a cracking limb, if not I'd still be shooting it today, LOVE that thing.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3 guns that my dad gave me. They belonged to my grandpa. I made it a goal to kill and animal with each one. Killed a deer with the muzzleloader and the model 12. And pheasants with the savage over under of his! Wish I would've been able to hunt with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am only with things I get from my Dad.

14. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm. The first time I read the title, my initial thought was HECK no, who in the world would be attached to "equipment"... But, as I tried to sit back and think, here's what I came up with.

Now with archery equipment. Nope, not sentimental one bit. Out with the old, in with the new, Even the first compound bow I ever had, got rid of it. Same goes with clothes, bags camera gear, etc.

But here's where it changed,

I don't get rid of guns, I have guns passed down to me from 4 generations, so I guess that's where I get it. The way I will "get rid" of these guns is pass them along to one day my son's/daughter's, if i'm blessed to have any. If not, I have plenty of little cousins that will get them.

Now for old hunting clothing, I would say no. BUT I just had a recent experience with my wife, that changes this perspective of mine. We recently got married and was lucky enough to buy a house. So one night we were going through boxes of my old hunting stuff, so we could get rid of stuff I didn't need or had duplicates and so on. In the last box, I found my first set of long-johns (yes I tried to put them on, man they shrunk ;) ) then, I found all my old carhart jacket and bibs that I would wear in the bitter cold winters in Ohio. Man, I told her story after story of where the ripped holes came from and waking up putting all my stuff on and heading out in the cold like some carhart snowman, waddling to the treestand, just to freeze my but off from sweating so much. It was an awesome (I guess, sentimental) time to reflect on all those memories. But in the end, I told her to sell them.

The memories will last far beyond any equipment.

15. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes & no. I've got a ML and 22 that were my Dad's that I keep but don't use... everything else can go....

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just the Remington 700 30-06 from my grandpa. Anything I've bought can be replaced.

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same as me.

Sent from my XT830C

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad's 1100 12ga. is the only thing I will say without a doubt I'll hold on to forever.