Do you have a Travel Trailer?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 9, 2015.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sold our Travel Trailer at the end of the season last year thinking it would be another year before I bought another since our youngest boy is just 17 months old and it would be tough to get out much (Plus we needed a little bit more space with another kid).

But, I changed my mind and decided to go ahead and get another.

What I would like to know is what you have and anything(s) about your TT that you do not like or wish you would have done different.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We did the Travel Trailer camping thing for many years but sold it when we bought our land and built a cabin.

1. Rear Bunk beds are awesome with kids and a waste without kids.
    2. Outside Kitchens (grill, stove, fridge) on the fold out panal are awesome.
    3. Slide outs sure open up the space a lot. Especially since kids tend to play on the floor
    4. Portable waste tanks are worth their weight in gold when you have kids since they tend to waste a lot of water. Thetford Smarttote Portable Waste Holding Tank - 12 Gallon, 2-Wheel - Thetford 40505 - Holding Tanks - Camping World

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buckeye we have a 24ft Coachmen

To me with two kids bunk beds are a must, it's so nice when we get to the camp site to un-hook, setup and put the kids to bed without having to extend or undo anything.

Slide outs are nice, I don't have any, but would recommend getting a TT with a slide out.

It states a queen, but it's more like a double for your bed. They are some that make an actually queen. When I get another one it will be 26-28 footer. To me anything over that length is just to long and hard to get campsites correct size.

My next one is going to have an outside kitchen and two doors to enter, one by the bathroom.

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Amen to number 4, I love mine. Note I did not read his comments and we are pretty much spot on.

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had to stop and think what the heck a travel trailer actually is. Around these parts we call them campers.

Slide outs are great and they really open everything up. You may not think its such a big deal but that first rainy day you have to stay inside the camper with more then a couple people you will be glad you have them,

Also ours has a fold out sink and its a nice thing to have. You don't have to take any real dirty items inside to wash. or you can wash your hands.

This is my parents camper we use during the IL gun season. My dad got a great deal on it because the decals were starting to fade for some reason and dad got a huge discount because of it.

[​IMG]

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the comments so far.

I sold the waste tote with the camper last fall, I will get another one. The last one would hook up to my ball hitch and I could pull it with the truck to the dump station if the station was far. I also sold my weight distribution hitch / sway control as I couldn't stand setting that sway break up. I like the newer style that is built in.

The last camper was a Forest River Salem hybrid. It was 20 feet (plus tongue) plus the fold out tent ends on both ends. No Gary, not the Tressel Vessel :)

I am over the tent ends that the last one had and do not want that hassle anymore. Just a pain to clean them so they do not get any mildew.

The next will for sure have bunks, and I am looking at models with and with out the side slide outs. I do not want anything longer than 30 feet including the tongue. 23 to 25 feet plus tongue would be ideal.

I want a power awning and would like a power tongue jack and power stabilizer jacks but are not a necessity. If I had to choose from the three it would be the awning for sure, again as they are a pain to keep clean if you pack up in the morning and the dew hasn't burn off yet.

All thoughts welcome.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love to see the guy that showed up to buy the Tressel Vessel from you.:moose:

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I got 5 hundo out of that gem.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Bullets

New 2015 Keystone RV Bullet 230BHS Travel Trailer at Blue Dog RV | Post Falls, ID | #140481

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did unspeakable things to the tressel vessel

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Worse than what what you did to the gas pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i built my own:tu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. zlr1980

zlr1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same boat as you OP i have a 21 month old and another on the way in May we had a 26 footer with no slide and with kids it got tight on floor space. So we sold it last spring and will buy another once our kids understand a little more what the word no means and that they cant sit in the road to look at all the little rocks lol. Our old one had all the power options Awning,tongue jack and stabilizers they were awesome especially the tongue jack and awning. Another thing that I really liked with our old one that our next one will have to are the the outside stereo speakers they are really handy i thought. I cant wait to get another one I love camping!!

14. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With kids I would definitely buy one with bunks in the back, in fact ours has 4 bunks with a door that closes it off completely. With a 17 month old, it's a must to have a separate area for him to sleep quietly.

The downside of having bunks in the back is usually the kitchen counter space is very limited, at least that's what we were finding when we were shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Found our camper today. A Jayco Jay Flight 264BHW.

Also got the chainless weight distribution system with the built in sway control this time around.

3840 <--- Link

I am looking at some TV mounts that I can move the tv back and forth from living area to bedroom. Any good suggestions?

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is pretty much identical to our Jayco 27BH. The storage under the lift up bed is great.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buckeye,

The only thing I do not like is there is no door to your bedroom. Mrs. Germ and I love the door we have in ours, for some reason she likes to get busy when we camp, we even broke off the front right stabilizer jack one night, now I am sure something else weaken it, but I am sticking to my story.

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks having to re-buy all the gear and accessories that I gave away with the last one. Well over 1k buying stuff I gave away...

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are some things I wish I could "un-read".

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can't tell me you have the same camper and only give me one thought on it... Get busy with the review. Good and bad.

Oh, and thanks in advance for your cooperation ;)