223 Bullet Compensation Scopes

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cmonsta, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if anyone has a review on any. I am specifically looking at the ones by Nikon, Burris, Redfield, and Cabelas. I have some gift cards for Cabelas and want to keep the total price under $200, just a cheap New England single shot that has been over used, so do not plan on investing to much into this rifle. Still don't would like a review or 2 before I settle on a scope for it. Thank you!

2. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nikon isn't a bad one. My only problem was that this is at normal temperatures. It doesn't account for all the other stuff just bullet drop

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    See if they carry any of the vortex line. Its hard to beat their glass for the price. IMHO, skip the bdc's and just get a mil style and do your own hold overs as the bdcs rarely ever line up.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know it cost a bit more but I've had a Leupold Mark AR for a few years now and it's been a great scope. The factory dial is close enough for minute of coyote out to 400 yards.

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! If/when I buy a nicer 223 I will probably get that. I don't think this rifle is worth a scope of that price. Heck Im not even sure its worth a $200 scope yet, haven't shot it lol.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like a leupold HAMR but it's pretty pricey.

I have a leupold vx3 L on my deer/pronghorn/elk rifle. It has the boone and crockett reticle. It sort of gives you the ability to range the critter and the different hash marks are for various ranges.

The thing to remember is that those hash marks on bullet drop compensation reticles are only accurate at the magnification that you sight in with.

For instance, my scope is 4.5 x 14. If I sight in (zero) at 300 yards at full magnification my second hash mark should be on target for 400 yards. The third hash mark is good for 500 yards.

.... As long as I keep the magnification the same. If I turn the magnification down to 4.5 power, the second hash mark turns to 568 yards and my third hash mark is on for 793 yards.

If you're already aware of this, I apologize for the lesson. I have found, however, that many people think the various dots or hash marks are on target no matter the magnification.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually had no clue of that Christine so thank you very much for the lesson!! I would have never guessed that!!

8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a .223 really has no need for a scope you describe.
    for real world hunting, its a 300 yard gun max.

9. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's not true at all. For real world hunting??? You expect me to hunt fake things?