How big of a role does music play in your life?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dubbya, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly enjoy some good tunes but for the most part as far as music is concerned... I could take it or leave it. I can drive for 17hrs and never turn on the radio, I spend far more time thinking than listening. If I do turn on the radio, I rarely listen to the lyrics. During the fall, I'll turn it on if I have a hunter that is really dry or quiet, just to break the silence. I don't have a musical bone in my body, I used to practice and practice my trumpet in 5th grade and was still always "last chair." My band teacher told me to stick with athletics, thank the lord.

I still have about 8 gigs of music on iTunes but it's the same music that's been there for 4 years.

My wife however is the opposite. She has speakers all over the house, and always has the radio on in the car.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are we related?

I'll be on a trip and there's nothing but static on the radio. I enjoy music while running or exercising....but don't know song titles or band names.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same with me, i use it mostly for background noise when I am driving.
    Honestly the only time I pay much attention to music is with its relation to video or movies...for some reason I really key into soundtracks ect....

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on the mood and situation for me. I am more likely to listen to sports talk radio then I am music while driving or at work. If I am at a bar or if I have alot on my mind I like music.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, and I'm the worst in the world at identifying artists or song titles...

6. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I listen to conservative talk radio mostly don't listen to music nearly as much as I used to.... but at 53 I still like Metal....

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Music is a HUGE part of who I am. I played the drums for 10 years throughout high school and into my 20's. To me there's nothing like hearing a certain riff on a guitar or opening drum beat to a song that completes my mood I'm in. weather it's country (not :dan: luke bryan country) 50's rock, or Iron Maiden, or Type-o-negative, or even my obsession with 80's hair bands, I love it!! This past fall on my 13 hour drive to Indianna to meet up with my Illinois hunting partner I listened to Sirius XM's Hair Nation the entire time because it fit the mood. I drive a truck for a living, and most days I never turn on local music station because it is all the same over played crap, but plug in my Iphone with 8 gigs of music ranging from...Asia to Steely Dan to Alabama. whatever dits the mood. I'm a big sports talk radio listener as well.

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About the same as you... Although I never played an instrument in my life.

I commute 3 hours a day and like to have the radio on, but I rarely know who sings what song and the name of that song. As Trial stated... Pretty much use it as background music.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind music but I often find it annoying. I see people with earphones in all the time, like ALL the time, and I couldn't possibly do that. My family and friends think I'm weird because I can literally go on a 5-6 hour trip without turning the radio on. Other times music is nice, like around the campfire, or when I want to be left alone at work.

10. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can take music or leave it. The satellite does come in handy on my yearly road trip to the Midwest. I mostly listen to the lithium channel. It plays a lot of grunge from the 90's. I will mixin some Ozzy's boneyard and hair nation hoping to hear some Metallica or scorpions type metal. I use to listen to talk radio constantly but I am tired of politics and being angry after listening to it. I realized I do not need Rush or Glen Beck talking for me, i can convey my conservatism by myself. When my kids are with me is another story. My 9yo daughter has to have the radio on one of the top 40 type stations.i get a kick looking in my mirror and seeing her lip syncing the songs, amazed and saddened at how she is maturing.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take it or leave it. I enjoy podcasts that offer up something to learn.
    Can't listen to any of the rapcrap.

12. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never listen to music. Can't stand it. All it is is noise. The only thing I listen to is conservative talk radio.

13. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to have music playing no matter what I am doing..

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The right music taps into my soul the same way shooting a big buck, hearing wolves howl and taking in the view from a mountain top can.

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Fitz on this one, well said.

16. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like listening to music. About the only time I shut the radio off is when I am planting or combining. Then I am listening to the tractor/planter or combine.

Now if we are working in the shop... I can't stand a radio playing in the background. If you want to really annoy me... play country music. If you want a wrench upside your head... put a talk station on !!

Tim

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't listen to much music these days. In the car, it's usually on sports talk radio. If I'm not in the car, there's almost never a radio on. I'll put music on if they are talking about soccer, hockey or Nascar.

18. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    B.B kings bluesville on pandora after that I go see live music as much as I can. We have a music family here at my house.

Best live performance is Buddy Guy...if you want to see the best showman alive go see him on tour !

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine driving even 5 minutes solo without any music on. Much less a long road trip.

Like that seriously weirds me out to even imagine myself in that scenario lol.

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Despite being half oriental, I have zero musical talent and I suck at math.
    ;)

I used to listen to music all the time. My parents took me to Blues Fest, SummerFest and ChicagoFest. In high school my friends and I would to go to heavy metal/speed metal/death metal concerts every couple of weeks. It was more fun event than any kind of musical appreciation (obviously).

As long as I lived in Chicagoland I listened to music (or what I considered music) when I drove around. Partially to drown out the noise and distraction of the city and partially because I drove old beater trucks and it covered the mechanical protests the vehicles would make.
    Passenger: "What's that weird grinding noise?"
    Me: "I think it's coming from the rear differential."
    Passenger: "Can you get it fixed?"
    Me: "Sure" cranks up radio until grindy/thumpy noise is hidden as a background accompaniment "All better!"

I quickly lost interest in music once I moved out in the sticks. I'd still listen to music but didn't really get into it. Plus, driving around in a quiet river bottom and TooL just don't mix well.

In 2013 when I drove back and forth from IL to Utah... nine times.. I tried listening to the radio but seriously.. there are no good radio stations in Iowa or Nebraska and I think there are only two radio stations in Wyoming. One plays Herman Cain (I'm good with that) and the other plays bad country music. People in Nebraska still love Billy Idol. A lot.

So, I joined Audible and bought a Bluetooth speaker and listened to audiobooks downloaded to my phone on the drives.

It's about impossible to get a radio station out here too. I sometimes listen to The Blaze radio streaming on my phone if I have enough signal... or more audiobooks.. Mostly, I ride in silence... 'cept for the rattle of loose ammo in the truck. I guess I'm old.