Own your misses

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by copperhead, Jan 24, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I want to vent so please bear with me. I was watching TV today and this guy make a long range shot with a rifle on a mulie and misses. He proceeds to blame the spotter on his miss and further explains that they did not account for the rising thermals and hence he missed. Granted this could be an accurate statement but he further goes on to say that the job of the shooter is to pull the trigger and not flinch. WHAT!!! :jaw: Spotter or no spotter the shooter owns the responsibility for the shot. I know this is a bow forum but I had to vent. I have no doubt the guy could make the shot but don't blame the miss on someone else and it does not bode well for justifying long range shots either. Ok I'll shut up now thanks for listening.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This new long range craze out west is what kept me out of the mountains for the most part during gun season...

I don't understand the thrill of shooting an animal from 800+ yards away, but I guess I'm different than most.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Trevor, I'm with you... the problem is that there is a giant difference between being a long range shooter and buying a huskemaw scope to put atop grandpa's rifle. For me, when we get guys that are "real" long distance shooters... it's a breath of fresh air because we get the total opposite of the spectrum most of the time. It took one guy 22 bullets to kill an antelope this year and the farthest shot was 230 yards.

What I do understand is that LR shooters get a different thrill than other types of hunters. Where western bowhunters practice shooting their bows, stalking and exercising patience... LR shooters get their thrill of shooting ammunition they load themselves and seeing their efforts of practicing long range shooting, breathing, calculations and properly pulling the trigger.

I guess I've learned to appreciate accuracy and proficiency, regardless of what the weapon is or how far the animal is. True story, I've seen more guys miss at 150 yards with a rifle than I have seen them miss at 800. Sure, I've seen a lot more guys shoot at 150, but the guys that shoot at 800 yards, usually kill it. At the same time, I've seen LOTS of people miss antelope at 30 yards and lots of them get killing at 50+.

To Copperhead... I agree, whoever pulls the trigger is the one that missed... not the spotter.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah IMO that's just target shooting. The thrill and skill of the hunt is greatly diminished. Heck I feel like I'm cheating enough using a 20 ga. during gun season here.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I should have expounded some... I'm not implying everyone who shoots that distance is a slob or can't pull it off. I just can't wrap my head around the challenge (hunting wise) when you are a half mile away from an animal.

Trust me, I know ALL about bad shots with a rifle. I pulled the trigger a few times to anchor my antelope this fall (30 mph winds suck for easterners lol).

The trend I've seen is people stretching their ranges beyond their capability after watching those few capable of doing it pull it off successfully on TV.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well put Dustin

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very Well Put!!

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its like a golfer blaming a caddy.
    It's your shot, know it, take it , own it.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean.

Here's an easy formula for that wind drift.. (This will work pretty darn well for any bullet that in 2900fps or faster).

(Distance)* (.01) = X
    (X)* (Wind speed) = Y
    (Y)/20 = MOA of wind drift.

So at 300 yards with a 15mph wind....
    300 *.01 = 3
    3 * 15 = 45
    45/20 = 2.25 MOA

So at 300 yards, your bullet will drift about 6.75" :D I've tested this a LOT with clients... works great.

10. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Missing happens to the best of us!! All i can say is learn and adjust to your mistakes part of life.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the appeal to long distance shooting, I just don't share it in regards to killing animals. I have too much fear of the feeling I get if I make a poor shot to chance shots at living critters over 200 yards with a rifle.

If that hunter allowed himself to be put in a situation where a thermal caused a miss, then he really has no one to blame but himself and his macho (or possibly lazy) *ss. Just my take on it.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can honestly say I have not missed with my browning 270 in 15 years.:o Then again it has been that long since I shot it.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    "The spotter and the rising thermals caused me to miss". Sir, please shut up.