Predator control on the farm

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Nick_P, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the last year or so, my buddy's farm which we bowhunt has undergone a significant decrease in the deer population due to DNR culling and an increasing population of coyotes. We decided that needed to be changed, so a couple nights this week we are planning to do some night yote hunting. Going to sit on edge of his cornfield in attempt to call them from the opposite woods/riverbed. The open terrain and darkness isnt exacty ideal for use of my bow unfortunately. However, I'll be packing the Foxpro Firestorm and my new Benjamin Trail NP2 air rifle in .22caliber. It will be my first coyote hunt with an airgun, so i'm pretty excited. Anybody got any tips on hunting coyotes at night? I'm looking forward to getting out there and giving it a try.

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    why use an airgun??
    at least grab a shotgun and load it with 3" BB or # 4 buck.

3. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    now is the time to do this EVERYONE you would not believe how many fawns you lose in the spring due to these predators...
    And in the south hogs kill and eat a fair amount as well...

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We're gonna try our hand at trapping this spring. We set a few traps over this past weekend but came up empty. After doing a little research we found out that there is a lot we need to learn about properly placing sets. One more hobby to add to the list.

6. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    need to trap coons too, get some dog proof traps..

7. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I'd be using an air rifle. I shoot them during gun season with a rifle and the things are tough. They're strong animals and the shot would have to be perfect (I know we always try for a perfect shot - but a lot of the time they're a distance away).

We have traps out right now. Have a pack running behind our house. So far haven't had much luck (the traps keep freezing).

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With that Benji your gonna have to get that pellet right in his ear and into his brain. TRUST ME. That is exactly what I use to dispatch while running traps cause its quiet, but using it while calling....... well your gonna have to get the sweet spot or he is gonna laugh and run off. Shotgun or a rifle in at least .17cal.

9. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may pack my 12ga also but there is a neighborhood a few hundred yards away so i was thinking the quieter the better, i also like the challenge. I shoot dime sized groups at 30yds and am comfortable taking sparrows out to 60 so i will wait for the right opportunity for a good solid headshot. Daytime hunts i'll pack my .22mag instead when shots will be longer

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed a coyote up close and personal with a shotgun and a bow already. Just got the airgun a month ago and im super impressed at how well it shoots. It hits hard and barely makes a sound since it is shrouded and suppressed. Thought it'd be something cool to try and yes i know it will have to be a perfectly placed headshot. I'm game to try it nonetheless

11. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Even though coyotes are predators and not popular we should always strive to put a clean ethical kill on all animals. An air gun in my opinion is not up for the task.

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saying you're going to hunt coyotes with a. 22 air rifle is about like announcing you're going shoot deer with field points.

I wouldn't choose to hunt coyotes with a 22lr and its ballistics are far superior to the air rifle.

13. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm not choosing an air rifle purely just for the fun of it, and yes i've spent lots of time shooting on the range and killing critters so i know the gun and its capabilities very well. Trust me i wouldn't be packing it if i didnt think it would get the job done. I understand it has its limitations and the shots will have to be up close and personal. I will see about packing a .223 and or 12ga, it just may be an issue on that particular property. Either way i want to ensure that i make an ethical kill or else i wouldn't be hunting them in the first place. Again i appreciate the feedback and if it seems to be that big of an issue i will try something else.

14. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not doubting your skill with the air rifle but rather it's ability to kill a coyote. We have a .22 air rifle and 3 .177s so it's not like I don't like the things... it's just that coyotes are tough. Even a well placed headshot needs to penetrate through quite of bit of muscle, gristle and bone. That's asking a lot out of an airgun that probably gets less than 20 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

15. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Christine! I appreciate the feedback. Do you have any experience with Foxpro calls? I've been playing around with this new Firestorm and it's pretty awesome, thinking i will start with the cottontail distress and maybe use the mouse squeeks as a coaxer if a dog holds up.

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your worried about the neighborhood being to close by I would concentrate more on trapping then actually hunting. Unless there was a way to get a shot off that is not goin to be toward any houses. Other than that I would only trap on particular property.

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I have a FoxPro wildfire 2. I really like it a lot. I use frequently use the cottontail distress and also the bay bee cottontail. Pretty soon lone coyote barks and howls should work. (but I haven't tried them yet)

My biggest advice is to put the caller where you can see it, and in range. It helps if you put it in a bush so it's up off the ground but not easily visible to the coyote. I also have a mojo critter that I put next to the caller. I've had one coyote completely ignore the mojo critter but two others ran right up to it and were staring at it when I shot them.

18. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see where the coyote dropped right next to the mojo critter. I put the critter up high in this sagebrush so the incoming coyote would see it. It worked like a charm.

19. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well here ya go... No worries, the hornady .223 will be flying instead of the airgun. Christine, i preset my call to the DSG Cottontail with the bay bee cottontail as preset #2. Hopefully it all works out, wind turned in our favor tonight so it should be good.
    [​IMG]

20. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Good hunting. I hope to see some dead yote pics!